Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 3 | Page No. 1345-1350
Date of Publication: 30-09-2015
LOCATION OF MANDIBULAR FORAMEN IN CORRELATION WITH THE GONIAL ANGLE IN INDIAN POPULATION: A MORPHOMETRIC STUDY FOR SURGICAL PRACTICES
Shailendra Singh, Suniti Raj Mishra *, Pramod Kumar, Priyanka Sinha, Sushobhana, Jigyasa Passey, Rahul Singh.
*Department of Anatomy, G.S.V.M. Medical College, Kanpur. Uttar Pradesh, India.
Address: Prof Dr. Suniti Raj Mishra, Professor and Head, Department of Anatomy, G.S.V.M. Medical College, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Background: The mandibular foramen, is the emerging point of the neurovascular bundle which makes it fundamental for performing anaesthetic techniques for desensitization of the mandible in oral surgery interventions. The knowledge of position of mandibular foramen is neccessary while anaesthetizing palate during periodontal procedures, tooth extractions and maxillofacial surgeries.
Objective: The present study was carried out to identify the position and location of mandibular foramen in relation to the angle of mandible (gonial angle) in adult human mandibles of Indian origin .
Materials and Methods: The study was conducted on 300 adult human dry skulls of Indian Population. Angle of mandible, Distance of mandibular foramen from angle of mandible and Angle of mandibular foramen with the base of mandible were measured. Measurements were done with Steel measuring tape and Mylometer. The data was statistically analysed.
Results and Conclusion: The Mean value of the angle of mandible (Gonial Angle) was 121.870 ± 6.220. The Mean value of the distance of mandibular foramen from angle of mandible was 22.78± 4.05 mm.The angle of mandibular foramen was Mean ± standard deviation of 82.240± 6.870. The morphometric correlation of the parameters analyzed in the mandibles showed a statistically significant Pearson correlation. Regression line was also derived.
KEY WORDS: Anaesthesia, Anatomy, Angle of Mandible, Gonial Angle, Mandibular Foramen, Morphometry.
- Kaffe, I., L. Ardekian, I. Gelerenter and S. Taicher. Location of mandibular foramen in panoramic radiographs. Oral. Surg. Oral. Med. Oral. Pathol., , 1994,78: 662-669. PubMed
- Afsar, A., D.A. Haas, P.E. Rossovw and R. Wood,. Radiographic localization of mandibular anesthesia landmarks. Oral Surgery Oral Med. Oral Pathol. Oral Radiol. Endod., 1998, 66: 234-241. PubMed
- Malamed, S.F.,. Handbook of Local Anesthesia. 2004, 4th Edn., Mosby Publishers, St. Louis, pp: 193.
- Robertson, W.D.,. Clinical evaluation of mandibular conduction anesthesia.,Gen. Dent., 1979, 27: 49-51.
- Levy, T.B., An assessment of the Gow-Gates mandibular block for third molar surgery. J. Am. Dent. Assoc., 1981,103: 37-41.
- Grover, P.S. and L. Lorton, Bifidmandibular nerve as a possible cause of inadequate anesthesia in the mandibule. J. Oral. Maxillofac. Surg., 1983,41: 177-179.
- Kaafman, E., P. Weinstein and P. Milgrom,. Difficulties in achiving local anesthesia. J. Am. Dent. Assoc., 1984, 108: 205-208. PubMed
- Zivanovich, S. The mandibular angle in the recent East African Bantu population. Arch. Oral. Biol, . 1970 , 15:1313-6.
- Avis, V. The significance of the angle of the mandible: An experimental and comparative study. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol, 1961, 55-61.
- Rajalakshmi Rai, Anu Vinod Ranade, Latha Venkatraya Prabhu, Mángala M. Pai, Sampath Madhyastha & Mángala Kumaran Int J. MorphoL, 2007, 25(2):353-356,
- Bremer G. Measurements of special significance in connection with anesthesia of the inferior alveolar nerve. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol; 1952, 5: 966-988.
- Hayward J, Richardson ER & Malhorta SK. The mandibular foramen: Its anteroposterior position. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol.; 1977, 44(6): 837-843.
- Bass WM. Human osteology. A laboratory and ﬁeld manual. 3rd ed. USA: Missouri Archaeological Society, 1987, Inc.; 79–80.
- Kilarkaje N, Nayak S R, Narayan P, Prabhu L V. The location of the mandibular foramen maintains absolute bilateral symmetry in mandibles of different age-groups. Hong Kong Dental Journal; 2005, 2: 35-7.
- Nicholson ML. A study of the position of the mandibular foramen in adult human mandible. Anat Rec. 1985, May; 212(1): 110-112.
- Gabriel, A. C. Some anatomical features of the mandible. J. Anal, 1958, 52:582-6,.
- Keen, A. J.. A study of the angle of the mandible. J. Dental Research, 1945, 24:99-108,
- Xie QF, Ainamo A. Correlation of gonial angle size with cortical thickness, height of the mandibular residual body, and duration of edentulism.J Prosthet Dent. 2004, May;91(5):477-82.
- J da Costa de Sousa, Machado F.A., Porto Silva P.A., Cardinot T.M., Babinski M. A., correlation of the gonial angle with condylar measurements on dry mandible: a morphometric study for clinical-surgical and physiotherapeutic practices Eur J Anat, 2006,10 (3): 91-96
- Dibbets JMH. Morphological associations between the Angle classes. European Journal of Orthodontics. 1996; 18: 111-118.
- Mbajiorgu, E.F.; Zivanovich, S.; Ásala, S.A. & Ma vera, G.A. A pilot study of mandibular angle in black Zimbabwean. Cent Afr J Med. 1996;42(10):285-7.
- Nagar M., Khatri K, Prakash R. Disposition of the mandibular foramen in adult Indian mandibles. Journal of Anatomical Society of India ,1996 June; 45: 43.
- Marzola, C.; Frare, P. H. B.; Toledo Filho, J. L. & Navarro, J.A. C. Mandibular foramen contribution to your localization to the anesthetical techniques. Acad.Tirad. De Odon, 2005.; 2(3): 235-258.
- Yan Gu & McNamara Jr. Mandibular Growth Changes and Cervical Vertebral Maturation. Angle Orthodontist. 2007; 77(6): 947-953
- Ennes JP & Medeiros RM. Localization of mandibular foramen and clinical implications. Int. J. Morphol 2009; 27(4): 1305-1311.
- Jalili MR. The research of mandibular foramen in Panorex X-ray. Pak jour of biolo sci. 2010; 13(21): 1062-1065.
- Poonacha, K; Shigli, A; Indushekar, K . Relative position of the mandibular foramen in different age groups of children: A radiographic study.Journal of Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry 2010; 28(3): 173-178.
- Ashkenazi, M; Taubman, L; Gavish, A Age-associated changes of the mandibular foramen position in anteroposterior dimension and of the mandibular angle in dry human mandibles. Anat Rec. 2011; 294: 1319–1325.
- Shenoy, V; Vijayalakshmi, S; Saraswath, P. Osteometric Analysis of the Mandibular Foramen in Dry Human Mandibles.Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2012; 6(4): 557-560.
- Hetson G, Share J, Frommer J, Kronman JH . Statistical evaluation of the position of the mandibular foramen. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1988; 65(1): 32-4.
- Tsai HH Panoramic radiographic findings of the mandibular foramen from deciduous to early permanent dentition. J. Clin. Pediatr. Dent. 2002.; 28: 215-219.
- Ferreira R. A; Toledo G. L; Toledo Filho J. L; Marzola C; Pastori C. M; Zorzetto D. L, G; Capelari M. M; Gerhardt De Oliveira M..;Mandibular Foramen Morphometric Study in the Orthognathic Surgery. Roteirocompleto da revistaato. 2012, 12(1): 1151-1173.
- Schafer E.A, Syminton J, Bryce T.H.Quain; Element of Anatomy. 1915,Vol. IV. Part I. 11th ed. London: Lonmans, Green & Co.
Shailendra Singh, Suniti Raj Mishra, Pramod Kumar, Priyanka Sinha, Sushobhana, Jigyasa Passey, Rahul Singh. LOCATION OF MANDIBULAR FORAMEN IN CORRELATION WITH THE GONIAL ANGLE IN INDIAN POPULATION: A MORPHOMETRIC STUDY FOR SURGICAL PRACTICES. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(3):1345-1350. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.231