Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 3 | Page No. 1281-1284
Date of Publication: 31-08-2015
FUSION BETWEEN BODY AND GREATER CORNU: A RADIOLOGICAL STUDY OF DRY HYOID BONES
Pritee M. Meshram *1, Shanta S. Hattangdi 2.
Department of Anatomy, Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College and General Hospital, Sion Mumbai, India.
Address: Dr. Pritee M. Meshram, Dept. of Anatomy, College Bldg., 3rd Floor, LTMMC&GH, Sion Hospital, Sion, Mumbai -400022, India.
Background: The two major changes that may occur in elderly individual without neurologic deficits is enlargement of ventricles and cortical atrophy. Aim of the study was to statistically analyse the dimensions of Fourth ventricle in humans and also to study the Changes that occur during ageing. Ventricular size of males and females was compared.
METHOD: The CT images of 112 adult individuals (Age Group 21-60) and 88 ageing individuals (Age above 61) was studied in both males and females. Measurements like vertical length, height, anterior-posterior diameter and transverse diameter of fourth ventricle was made by using dicomworks software.
RESULT: This study showed positive co-relation of age with dimensions of fourth ventricle and the dimensions of the fourth ventricle were enlarged with physiologic ageing. Also the dimensions of fourth ventricle were more in males as compared to females.
KEY WORDS: CT images, Fourth ventricle, Neurological deficits, Cortical atrophy.
- Schochet, S.S. Neuropathology of ageing. Neur.Clin. of N.Am. 1998;16(3):569-580.
- Burton.P.Drayer.Imaging of the ageing brain.Radiology.1988;166:785-796.
- Gomori JM, Steiner I, Melamed E, Cooper G. The assessment of changes in brain volume using combined linear measurements - A CT-scan study. Neuroradiology 1984;26:21-2416.
- Jacoby R J, Levy R, Dawson JM. Computed tomography in the elderly: The normal population. Br J Psychiatry 1980; 136:249-255.
- Laffey PA, Peyster RG, Nathan R, Haskin ME, McGinley JA. Computed tomography and aging: results in the normal elderly population. Neuroradiology 1984; 26:273-8.
- Cosellis, J.A.N. Greenfield’s Neuropathology.In: ageing and the dementias. London: Arnoold; 1976;797-848.
- Creasy, H, Rapoport, S.I. The ageing human brain. Ann. Of Neur.1985;17:2-10.
- Andreasen NC, MR Smith, CG Jacoby, JW Dennert and SA Olsen, Ventricular enlargement in schizophrenia: definition and prevalence, Am J Psychiatry 1982; 139:292-296.
- Huber, S.J.; Chakeres, D.W.; Paulson, G.W.et al.Magnetic resonance imaging in Parkinson’s disease. Arch.Neurol 1990;47:735-737.
- LeMay, M: Radiological Changes of the ageing brain and skull. American Journal of Roentgenology. 1984;5:383-389.
- Fox JH, Huckman MS, Tope1 JL. The use of computerized tomography in senile dementia. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1975;38:948-58.
- Laffey PA, Peyster RG, Nathan R, Haskin ME, McGinley JA; Computed tomography and aging: results in the normal elderly population. Neuroradiology 1984; 26:273-8.
- Kaye JA, DeCarli C, Luxenberg JS, Rapoport SL; The significance of age-related enlargement of the cerebral ventricles in healthy men and women measured by quantitative computed X-ray tomography. J Am Geriatr Soc 1992;40:225–23.
- GawlerJ, du Boulay GH, Bull JWD, Marshall J. Computerized tomography (the EMI scanner): a comparison with pneumoencephalography and ventniculography.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1976; 39:203-211.
- F. Duffner, H. Schiffbauer1, D. Glemser1, M. Skalej2, and D. Freudenstein, Anatomy of the cerebral ventricular system for endoscopic neurosurgery: a magnetic resonance study, Acta Neurochir 2003;145: 359–368 14.
- D’Souza C, Dias Medora C and Natekar Prashant E; The Morphometric Study of the Ventricular System of Brain by Computerised Tomography. Journal of Anatomical Society India; 2007;56(1):19-24.
- Takeda, S. and Matsuzawa, T. Age-related changes in volumes of the ventricles, cisternae and sulci: A quantitative study using CT. Jour. of Am. Ger. Soc. 1985. 33: 264 – 268.
- Haaga,J R, Sartoris,D.J, Lanjieri,C.F and Zerhouni,E.A. Computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging of the whole body. Normal CT and MRI anatomy of the brain; 3rd edition Mosby. 1994; 75-102.
Bhavna, Rajan Kumar Singla, Ravi Kant Sharma. FUSION BETWEEN BODY AND GREATER CORNU: A RADIOLOGICAL STUDY OF DRY HYOID BONES. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(3):1281-1284. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.211