Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 2 | Page No. 1168-1172
Date of Publication: 30-06-2015
TRACE ELEMENT AND LIGHT MICROSCOPIC STUDIES ON TESTIS OF ALBINO RATS TREATED WITH SILDENAFIL CITRATE (CAVERTA)
K.V.P. Suriyakumari *1, R. Uday Kumar 2, D. Savitha 3.
*1Professor and Head, Department of Anatomy, Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College and Hospital (SMVMC&H), Madagadipet, Pondicherry, India.
2 Professor, DDE Study Center, Annamalai University, Villupuram, Tamil Nadu, India.
3 Research Assistant, Dept. of Physics, Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu, India.
Address: Dr. K. V. P. Suriyakumari, Professor and Head, Dept. of Anatomy, Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College and Hospital (SMVMC&H), Kalitheerthalkuppam, Pondicherry- 605107, India.
Background: Caverta (Sildenafil citrate), an oral therapy for Erectile Dysfunction (ED), being the citrate salt of Sildenafil, is a selective inhibitor of cGMP- specific phosphodiestrase type (PDE5).
Aim: To study the drug- induced (i) changes in the trace element content of Testis and (ii) changes in the histoarchitecture of Testis of the experimental Albino rats.
Materials and Methods: For the present study, totally 48 animals were selected on weight basis and divided into 8 groups (S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, S7 and S8) with six animals in each group. Control animals (S1) were fed with conductivity water while the experimental animals (S2, S3, S4 and S5) were treated with a single dose of Caverta (@ 1µg/g body weight). Control animals were sacrificed at zero hour while the experimental animals (S2, S3, S4 and S5) were sacrificed after 1 hour, 2½ hours, 4 hours and 24 hours of drug administration respectively S6, S7 and S8 group of animals were fed with a single dose of the chosen drug (@ 1µg/g body weight) daily for all the 15, 30 and 45 days respectively. These animals were sacrificed after 4 hours of the last dosage. Vertical ventral midline incision was made in the abdominal wall to collect the left and right Testes.
Results: The spectral analysis indicates that the long term Caverta treatment of Albino rats results in the accumulation of Iron and Copper levels accompanied by a depletion of Nickel levels in the Testis. The histological studies indicate that long term exposure of Testis to Caverta leads to distorted histoarchitecture of the seminiferous tubules, interstitial space dilation and separation of Spermatogenic cells.
Conclusion: Long term Sildenafil Citrate (Caverta) treatment of Albino rats will bring in adverse effects and will completely alter the histoarchitecture of the Testis.
KEY WORDS: Trace Elements, Caverta, Testis, Histo architecture, Spermatogenic cells.
- Morley JE. Impotence. The American Journal of Medicine 1986; 80(5): 897 – 905.
- Aytaç IA, Araujo AB, Johannes CB, Kleinman KP, McKinlay JB. Socioeconomic factors and incidence of erectile dysfunction: findings of the longitudinal Massachussetts Male Aging Study. Soc Sci Med. 2000 Sep;51(5):771-8.
- Johannes CB, Araujo AB, Feldman HA, Derby CA, Kleinman KP, McKinlay JB. Incidence of erectile dysfunction in men 40 to 69 years old: longitudinal results from the Massachusetts male aging study. J. Urol. 2000 Feb;163(2):460-3.
- Feldman HA, Goldstein I, Hatzichristou DG, Krane RJ, McKinlay JB. Impotence and its medical and psychosocial correlates: results of the Massachusetts Male Aging Study. J Urol. 1994 Jan;151(1):54-61.
- Mc Clure TJ. Malnutrition and Infertility of cattle in Australia and New Zealand. Aust Vet J. 1968; 44(4):134-8.
- Martson HR, Allen SH, Smith RM. Production within the rumen and removal from the blood stream of volatile fatty acids in sheep given a diet deficient in cobalt. Br J Nutr. 1972; 27:147-57.
- Sharma VK, Vadodoria VP, Kavani FSS, Siddiquie GM. Studies on circulating levels of trace elements in normal cyclic and primary infertile Kankeraj heifers. Indian Veterinary Journal 1986; 65:332-5.
- Manickam R, Gopala Krishnan CA, Ramana TG, Mookappan M, Nagarajan M. Studies on the relationship between the elements and fertility in cows. Indian J Animal Research 1977; 1:23-8.
- Sikka P, Mudgal VD. Indian Dairyman 1988; 40: 175.
- Deshpande BR, Velhankar DP, Jadnav DS, Sane CR. Prolonged post- partum Anoestrus condition in cows. Indian Vet J. 1981; 54:63-8.
- Sikka P. Role of minerals in reproduction- A review. Indian J Dairy Sci. 1992; 45(4)159-67.
- Amit KD. Trace elements in Health and Diseases. Books for all (A division of DK Publisher Distributor (P) Ltd.) Delhi, 5(1996)
- Schilsky ML, Blank RR, Czaja MJ, et al. Hepatocellular copper toxicity and its attenuation by zinc. J Clin Invest. 1989; 84: 1562– 8.
- Millar MJ, Elcoate P V, Fischer MI, Mawson CA. Effect of testosterone and gonadotrophin injections on the sex organ development of zinc deficient male rats. Can. J. Biochem. Physiol. 1960; 38:1457-1466.
- Robbins SL, Cotran RS. Pathologic basis of disease, 2nd Edn., WB Saunders Co., London (1979)
- Mehta RB, Lakshmanan S. Indian Journal of Surgery, 1982; 44(5):310.[Hard Copy]
- Joshi AR, Ahamed RN, Pathan KM, Manivannan B. Effect of Azadirachta indica leaves on testis and its recovery in albino rats. Indian J Exp Biol. 1996 Nov;34(11):1091-4.
- Akbarsha, M. A., Manivannan, B., Shahul hamid, K., Vijayan, B. Antifetility effect of Andrographis paniculata (Nees) in male albino rats. Indian J.Exp.Biol. 1990;28: 421- 426.
K.V.P. Suriyakumari, R. Uday Kumar, Sairtha. TRACE ELEMENT AND LIGHT MICROSCOPIC STUDIES ON TESTIS OF ALBINO RATS TREATED WITH SILDENAFIL CITRATE (CAVERTA). Int J Anat Res 2015;3(2):1168-1172. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.193