Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 2 | Page No. 1159-1161
Date of Publication: 30-06-2015
CORRELATION OF PERCUTANEOUS TIBIAL LENGTH WITH BODY HEIGHT AND ESTIMATION OF STATURE IN LIVING CENTRAL INDIA POPULATION
Amit A. Mehta *1, Anjulika A. Mehta 2, V.M. Gajbhiye 3, Sarthak. Verma 4.
*1Associate Professor, 2 Assistant Professor, 3 Professor and Head, 4 Under Graduate Student.
1,3,4 Department of Anatomy, 2 Department of Physiology.
Peoples College of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Bhanpur, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India.
Address: Dr. Amit A. Mehta, Associate Professor, Dept. Of Anatomy, Peoples College Of Medical Sciences And Research Centre, Bhanpur Bypass Road, Bhanpur, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh 462037, India. Mobile No.: +919701672882
Identification of an individual by estimation of stature has got medico-legal importance. In present study an attempt will be made to estimate the stature from percutaneous length of tibia. Study subject consists of 40 adult males and 40 adult females between the age group of 18- 30 years, born in Central India. Simple regression formula was derived showing the correlation between percutaneous length of tibia and stature of an individual.
Key Words: Stature, Tibia, Bone length, Regression equation.
- Krogman WM, Isean MY. The human skeleton in forensic Medicine. Thomas CC; 2nd edition, Sprinlfield, 1986:58.
- Krishan K; Estimation of stature from footprint and foot outline dimensions in Gujjars of North India. Forensic Sc Int., 2008;175(2-3):93-101.
- Mohanty NK. Prediction of height from percutaneous tibial length amongst Oriya population. Forensic Sci Int., 1998; 98(3): 137 – 141.
- Steele, D. Gentry. Estimation of Stature from Fragments of Long Limb Bones,” T.D. Stewart ed., Personal Identification in Mass Disasters. National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C., 1970: 85-97.
- Nath, S. Estimation of stature from long bones in Indians of the united provinces: a medicolegal inquiry in anthropometry. Indian Journal of Medical Research. 1931;18:1245-1253.
- Agnihotri AK, Kachhwaha S, Jowaheer V, Singh AP. Estimating stature form percutaneous length of tibia and ulna in indo-Mauritian population. Forensi Science International. 2009;187(1):109.el-109.e3.
- Chavan SK, Chavan KD, Mumbre SS, Makhani CS. Stature and Percutaneus Tibial Length: A Correlational Study in Maharashtrian Population. Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology. 2009;2(3):109-12.
- Rani M, Tyagi AK, Verma SK., Kohli A. Estimation of stature from percutaneous measurements of legs (1999-2000). Journal of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology. 2004;21(1):12-14.
- Prerna Gupta , Pramod Kumar et al. Correlation of percutanedous length of tibia with body height and estimation of stature in living North Indian Males. Sch. J. App. Med. Sci.,2014;2(2D):848-852 .
- Bhavna S, Surinder Nath. Estimation of Stature on the Basis of Measurements of the Lower Limb. Anthropologist Special Volume. 2007;3:219-222.
- Lal CS, Lala JK. Estimation of height from tibial and ulnar lengths in North Bihar. Journal of Indian Medical Association .1972;58(4):120-121.
Amit A. Mehta, Anjulika A. Mehta, V.M. Gajbhiye, Sarthak. Verma. CORRELATION OF PERCUTANEOUS TIBIAL LENGTH WITH BODY HEIGHT AND ESTIMATION OF STATURE IN LIVING CENTRAL INDIA POPULATION. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(2):1159-1161. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.187