Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 2 | Page No. 1149-1151
Date of Publication: 30-06-2015
STUDY ON THE MORPHOLOGIC VARIATIONS IN COLIC BRANCHES OF SUPERIOR MESENTERIC ARTERY
Nirmaladevi M * 1, Sudha Seshayyan 2.
*1Associate Professor, PSG Institute of Medical Sciences & Research, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India.
2 Director, Institute of Anatomy, Madras Medical College, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India.
Address: Dr. Nirmaladevi M, Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, PSG Institute of Medical Sciences & Research, Peelamedu, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu – 641 004 Ph: 09865621490, Fax: 0422 2594400.
E-Mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Superior mesenteric artery arises from the abdominal aorta and supplies the derivatives of Midgut. Knowledge of the normal and anomalous arterial supply is important in modern abdominal surgical techniques like liver transplants, laparoscopic surgery, splenectomies, intestine transfers, penetration injuries of abdomen, resections of the small and large intestines, in radiological diagnosis and radiological abdominal interventions. A total number of 50 superior mesenteric arteries were studied in the different age group and sex by Dissection, Angiogram pictures and Surgeries. The colic branches were studied for variations in origin, course and pattern of supply.
KEY WORDS: Superior mesenteric artery, midgut, anomalous, splenectomise, laparoscopic.
- Gray’s anatomy.The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice.39th Ed. Elsevier Ltd.2005.1179.
- Hollinshed WH,Anatomy for Surgeons.New York:Harper and Row.1962.pg 648-650.
- Moore KL & Dally AF. Alimentary system. The developing human clinically oriented anatomy. 9th Ed.Baltimore, Williams & Wilkin,2006;214-215.
- Wain JC et al.Long segment colon interposition for acquired esophageal disease. Ann Thorac Surg 1999; 67:313-317.
- Michels NA et al. The variant blood supply to the descending colon, rectosigmoid and rectum based on 400 dissections. Its importance in regional resections:a review of medical literature. Dis Colon Rectum 1965;8:251-278.
- Sonneland J et al.Surgical anatomy of the arterial supply to the colon from the superior mesenteric artery based upon a study of 600 specimens. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1958;106:385-398.
- Steward, JA and Rankin FW.Blood supply of the large intestine: Its surgical considerations.1933,Arch.Surg.26:843.
- Shaunagh Mcdermott et al.Role of preoperative angiography in colon interposition surgery; Diagn Interv Radiol 2012;18(3);314-318.
- Ronald A et al. Illustrated encyclopedia of Human anatomic variation:Opus 11;Cardiovascular system;Arteries;Abdomen.
- Igiti AO et al.The pattern of arrangements and distributions of the superior mesenteric artery in Nigerian population. Int.J.Morphol. 2010; 28(1): 33-36.
Nirmaladevi M, Sudha Seshayyan. STUDY ON THE MORPHOLOGIC VARIATIONS IN COLIC BRANCHES OF SUPERIOR MESENTERIC ARTERY. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(2):1149-1151. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.183