Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 2 | Page No. 1128-1132
Date of Publication: 30-06-2015
THE STUDY OF CERVICAL VERTEBRAE SHOWING VARIATIONAL PRESENTATION OF FORAMEN TRANSVERSARIUM
M.Y Dofe *1, A.P Kasote 2, M.M Meshram 3.
*1 Assistant Professor,
2 Associate Professor, 3 Professor and Head.
Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Nagpur, Maharastra, India.
Address: DrMadhuri Yeshwant Dofe, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Anatomy, Govt. Medical College, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India.
Foramen transversarium is formed by the vestigial costal element fused to the body and the true transverse process of the vertebra. Present study carried out on 60 cervical vertebrae that showing variations in the presentation of foramen transversarium. Among them, 25 vertebrae show double (accessory) foramen transversarium, 15 vertebrae having double bubble appearance (incomplete double foramen transversarium) and 20 vertebrae having asymmetrical foramen transversarium. The results of present study shows incidence of variations more common on right side as compare to left in which unilateral accessory foramen transversarium more common than bilateral, even incomplete double foramen transversarium and narrowing of foramen transversarium more common on right side. Conclusion from this study etiology of variation in foramen transversarium may be related with the variation in the course of vertebral artery due to development reason.
KEY WORDS Foramen transversarium (FT), Cervical vertebrae, Vertebral artery.
- William PL ,Soames RW (ed) Axial skeleton Gray’s Anatomy, 38th ed Churchill Livingstone,Philadelphia 1995: P 516.
- Mikityansky I. Neuroradiology Case of the Week. Case 334.University of RochesterMedicalCenter.www.urmc.rochesteredu/smd/rad/neurocases/Neurocase334.htm (Accessed on March 30, 2011)
- Caovilla HH, Gananca MM, Munhoz MS. Silva ML: Sindrome cervical Quadros Clinicos Otoneurologicos Mais Comuns. Atheneu, Sao Paulo, 2000;3(11):95-100.
- Kaya S, Yilmaz ND, Pusat S, Kural C, Kirik A, Izci Y: Double foramen transversarium variation in ancient byzantine cervical vertebrae: Preliminary report of an anthropological study. Turkish Neurosurgery. 2011;21(4):534-538.
- Murlimanju BV, Prabhu LV et al. Accessory transverse foramen in cervical spine.Incidence, Embryological basis,Morphology and surgical importance Turk Neurosurg.2011;21(3):384-837
- Sharma A, Singh K. Double foarmen transvarsarium in cervical vertebra on osteological study.J Anat soc India. 59(2):229-231.
- Wysochiet et al. Anatomical variants of cervical vertebra and first thoracic vertebra in man.Folia Morphol 2003;62(4):357-363.
- Epstein B.S (1969).The spine A radiological of text and atlas third edition pp:24,25,65.
- Kovac A. Subluxation deformation of cervical apophyseal joint.A contribution to the etiology of headache. Acta Radiologica 1955;43:1-16.
- Loneta C, Omojola MF. Angiographic demonstration of bilateral duplication of extra cranial vertebral artery unusal course and review of literature Am J Neuroradiol. 2006;27:1304-1306.
- El Shaarawy EAA, Sabry SM, El Gammaroy T, Nasr LE. Morphology and morphometry of the foramina transversaria of cervical vertebrae: A correlation with the position of the vertebral artery. Aini Medical Journal. 2010. Accessed December 10, 2010.
M.Y Dofe, A.P Kasote, M.M Meshram. THE STUDY OF CERVICAL VERTEBRAE SHOWING VARIATIONAL PRESENTATION OF FORAMEN TRANSVERSARIUM. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(2):1128-1132. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.176