Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 2 | Page No. 1114-1120
Date of Publication: 30-06-2015
MORPHOMETRY OF TRICUSPID VALVE IN HUMAN FOETAL CADAVERS
Kishore Naick D 1, Sreekanth C 2, Thyagaraju K 3, Subhadra Devi Velichety *4.
1Tutor, 2,3Assistant Professor,*4 Professor & Head,
Dept of Anatomy, SVIMS, Sri Padmavathi Medical College for women, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh India.
Address: Prof. Dr.V.Subhadra Devi, Professor of Anatomy, SVIMS – Sri Padmavathi Medical College for women, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Introduction: Anatomy of tricuspid valve complex is highly sophisticated and is altered by various disease states. Anatomic and morphological studies on the tricuspid valve are comparatively less in adults and there were no studies on foetal tricuspid valve. Hence the present study was under taken.
Materials and methods: Parameters of the tricuspid valve of heart were defined and measured individually by using paquimeter. The morphometric parameters of basal width and depth of three cusps, attachment lengths of leaflets, frontal and sagittal dimensions of atrioventricular orifice and atrial circumference of valve attachment were recorded.
Results: All the parameters of tricuspid valve increased with gestational age and were statistically significant in males. The widths of all the three cusps were greater in male. The frontal and sagittal dimensions and tricuspid valve circumference were higher in female foetuses when compared to male foetuses. Tricuspid valve area is expressed as triangle only. Gestational age is negatively correlating with depth of posterior cusp while other parameters correlated positively as a whole as and in less than 30 weeks age group. In more than 30 weeks age group age has negative correlation with depth of anterior and posterior cusps; tricuspid valve circumference is negatively correlating with frontal and sagittal dimensions; frontal and sagittal dimensions positively correlated with age and tricuspid circumference.
Conclusion:Understanding tricuspid valve morphology and morphometry has great clinical importance in the practice of cardiac surgery, especially in partial transfer of leaflets of tricuspid valve for mitral valve repairs and in severe cardiac malformations. The present study forms a database for right atrioventricular orifice dimensions in human fetuses of different gestational ages.
KEY WORDS: Morphology, morphometry, tricuspid valve.
- Skwarek M, Grzybiak M, Kosinski A, Hreczecha J. Notes on the morphology of the tricuspid valve in the adult human heart. Folia Morphol 2004;63:319-24.
- Gerola LR, Wafae N, Vieira MC, Juliano Y, Smith R., Prates JC. Anatomic study of the tricuspid valve in children. Surg. Radiol. Anat.2001;23:149-153.
- Ludwig J, editor. Handbook of Autopsy Practice. 3rd ed. New Jersey: Humana Press Inc; 2002. Cardiovascular System; pp. 45–52.
- Skwarek M, Hreczecha J, Dudziak M, Jerzemowski J, Szpinda M,Grzybiak M. Morphometric features of the right atrioventricular orifice in adult human hearts.Folia Morphol., 2008;67(1):53-57.
- Silver MD., Lam JHC, Ranganathan N, Wigle ED. Morphology of human tricuspid valve. Circulation 1971;43:333-348.
- Mohamed A.B. Motabagani. Comparative Anatomical, Morphometric and Histological Studies of the Tricuspid Valve-Complex in Human and Some Mammalian Hearts Journal of the Anatomical Society of India J.Anat.Soc. India 2006;55(1):1-23.
- Gunnal SA, Farooqui MS, Wabale RN. Study of mitralvalve in human cadaveric hearts. Heart Views J Gulf Heart Association 2012;13:132-5.
- Jatene FB, Koike MM, Monteriro R, Veronezi SC, Magalhaes MH, Jatene AD. Avaliação anatômica da valve tricúspide. Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc 1992;7:22-27.
- Singh B, Mohan JC.Atrioventricular valve orifice areas in normal subjects: determination by cross sectional and Doppler echocardiography. Int J Cardiol,1994; 44:85–91.
- Skwarek M, Hreczecha J, Gryzbiak M, Kosinski A. Unusual anatomical features of the right atrioventricular valve. Folia Morphol. 2005;64:183–7.
- Kalyani R ,Thej MJ,Prabhakar K,Venkatesh TK,thomas AK,Kiran J.Morphometric analysis of tricuspid valve: An Indian perspective- J Nat Sc Biol MED 2012;3:147-51.
Kishore Naick D, Sreekanth C, Thyagaraju K, Subhadra Devi Velichety. MORPHOMETRY OF TRICUSPID VALVE IN HUMAN FOETAL CADAVERS. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(2):1114-1120. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.173