Type of Article : Case Report
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 2 | Page No. 1008-1010
Date of Publication: 30-04-2015
MEDIAN NERVE AS A NERVE OF ANTERIOR COMPARTMENT OF ARM WITH ITS VARIANT FORMATION: A CASE REPORT
Charushila D. Shinde*, Rekha Mane.
* Assistant Professor, Dept. of Anatomy, MGM Medical College, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Address: Dr. Charushila D. Shinde, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Anatomy, MGM Medical College, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Mobile No.: +919420112269
Absence of Musculocutaneous nerve and unusual formation and innervation of Median nerve were noted in left upper limb during anatomical dissection of 60 yr old female cadaver. Median nerve normally does not give any branch in arm but in this case it innervates all the muscles of anterior compartment of arm in place of Musculocutaneous nerve. Here we discussed its embryology. It is important to be aware of such possible anatomical variations in routine clinical practice.
KEY WORDS: Brachial plexus, Median nerve, Musculocutaneous nerve, Flexor muscles, lateral cord, Medial cord.
- Gray's Anatomy, 40th edition. Edinburgh, London, Newyork, Philadelphia, Sydeny, Toronto:Churchill Livingstone, 2008: pp 781,790, 821, 822.
- Budhiraja V, Rastogi R, Astana AK. Anatomical variation of median nerve formation:embryological and clinical correlation. J. MorphocolSci. 2011;28(4):283-286.
- Uzan A, Seelig LL Jr. A variation in formation of median nerve: communicating branch between musculacutaneous and median nerve in man. Folia Morphocol (Warsz), 1997:60:99-101.
- Jahanshahi M,Moharreri AR,GolalipourMJ. A variation of brachial plexus:Absence of musculocutaneous nerve.MJIH, 2003;6:87-88.
- Satyanarayan N, Vishvkarma N,Kumar GP, Guha R, Datta AK, Sunita P. Rare variations in formation of median nerve: embryologycal basis. Nepal Med Col J. 2009;11(4):287-290.
- Abhya A, Bhardwaj R, Prakash R. Dual origin of Musculocutaneous nerve. Journaal of Anatomical society of India 2003;52(1):94.
- Brown MC, Hopkins WG, Keyneys RJ.essentials of neural development Cambridge: Cambridge univercity press, 1991: pp 46-66.
- Larsen's Willium J. 200--,Human embryology. 4th edition, Newyork, Edinburgh, Churchill Livingstone, pp 640-642.
Charushila D. Shinde, Rekha Mane. MEDIAN NERVE AS A NERVE OF ANTERIOR COMPARTMENT OF ARM WITH ITS VARIANT FORMATION: A CASE REPORT. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(2):1008-1010. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.146