Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 2 | Page No. 999-1007
Date of Publication: 30-04-2015
THE MAXILLARY ARCH AND CEPHALOMETRIC MEASUREMENTS: COMPARING ETHNIC MALAYS AND ETHNIC CHINESE IN MALAYSIA
Khin Myo Thu *1, Than Winn 1, J.A.P. Jayasinghe 2, Nizam Abdullah 3.
*1 Faculty of Medicine, MAHSA University, Malayisa.
2,3 Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Sains, Malaysia.
Address: Prof. Dr Khin Myo Thu, Faculty of Medicine, MAHSA University, Malaysia. Phone: 006017-6774327.
A cross-sectional study was conducted to compare maxillary arch and head measurements between ethnic Malays and Chinese. Mean ages were 23.5 years (Malay) and 21.1 years (Chinese), and both groups were brachycephalic with the cephalic index 86.4 for Malay and 85.9 for Chinese which is not significantly different between them. Means of anterior arch width (AAW), posterior-arch-width (PAW) and arch-length were significantly different between two groups. AAW and PAW were significantly different from their corresponding indices for Malays but not for Chinese. The Pont’s and Korkhaus’ Indices could not be applied to the Malays but moderately to the Chinese.
KEY WORDS: Dental Arch, Cephalometric Index, Ethnic Malay, Chinese, Pont’s and Korkhaus’s Indices.
- Cassidy, K.M., et al., Genetic influence on dental arch form in orthodontic patients. Angle.Orthod., 1998;68(5):445-454.
- Pont, A., Der zahnindex in der Orthodontie. Z.zahnartl. Orthop., 1909;3(306).
- Linder, H., Biometrische Untersuchungen des Normalgebisses in verschiedenen Lebensaltern. Fortschr, Orthodont, 1931;1(22):211-214. (Cited by Rokosi et al, 1993)
- Korkhaus, Handbuch der Zahnheilkunde Kiefer- und Gesichtsorthopadie. 1939: Bd. IV. Bergmann, Munchen. (Cited by Rokosi et al, 1993)
- Rakosi, T., Jonas,I.,Graber,TM, Orthdontic Diagnosis. First ed. ed. 1993: Thieme Medical Publisher, New York.
- Williams, P., Bannister, L.H., Berry, M.M., Collins, P. Dyson,M., Dussak, J.E., and Ferguson, M.W.J : Gray’s anatomy. In :Skeletal system. 38th Edn; Churchill Livingston. London, pp :607-612. (1995).
- Efron, B. and R. J. Tibshirani. An Introduction to the Bootstrap. 1993: New York: Chapman & Hall.
- Stata, Stata Statistical Software: Release 7.0. 2001, Stata Corp: Houston, TX.
- Keng, S.B. and K.W. Foong, Maxillary arch and central incisor dimensions of an ethnic Chinese population in relation to complete denture prosthodontics. Int.Dent.J., 1996;46(2):103-107.
- Chen, J., Morphological studies on the dental arch and palate of the Chinese Fukien Province, Taiwan, using Moire patterns. Aichi Gakuin Daigaku Shigakka Shi, 1990;28(4):1181-1197.
- Barsley, R.E. and D.M. Lancaster, Measurement of arch widths in a human population: relation of anticipated bite marks. J Forensic Sci, 1987;32(4):975-982.
- Diwan, R. and J.M. Elahi, A comparative study between three ethnic groups to derive some standards for maxillary arch dimensions. J Oral Rehabil, 1990;17(1):43-48.
- Chang, H.F., Y.Y. Shiau, and K.C. Chen, The relationship of dental crowding to tooth size, dental arch width, and arch depth. Proc Natl Sci Counc Repub China B, 1986;10(4):229-235.
- Noroozi, H. and R. Saeeda, Interrelationships between the width, depth, and perimeter of the dental arch. Int.J.Adult.Orthodon.Orthognath.Surg. 2000. Spring; 2000;15(1.):69.-71.
- Ong, H.B. and M.G. Woods, An occlusal and cephalometric analysis of maxillary first and second premolar extraction effects. Angle.Orthod. 2001.Apr.;71(2):90-102.
- Liu, K.L., Dental condition of two tribes of Taiwan aborigines--Ami and Atayal. J.Dent.Res., 1977;56(2):117-127.
- Dalidjan, M., W. Sampson, and G. Townsend, Prediction of dental arch development: an assessment of Pont's Index in three human populations. Am.J.Orthod.Dentofacial.Orthop., 1995;107(5):465-475.
- Lew, K., The effect of variations in the mandibular plane angle on the Pont's Index. Funct Orthod, 1991;8(2): 24-27.
- Diament, A.J. and F.W. Rodrigues, Cephalic measures in normal pre-school children 3 to 7-years of age. Arq.Neuropsiquiatr., 1976;34(4):325-330.
- Chung, C.S., et al., Effects of interracial crosses on cephalometric measurements. Am.J.Phys.Anthropol., 1986;69(4):465-472.
- Dalou, A.A., Head shape of adult males as a possible indicator of economic changes in northern Jordan (1900-1978). USA. 2000, Dept.of Anthropology, University of Missouri: Columbia, MO, 65211, USA.
- Nakashima, T., Brachycephalization in the head form of school girls in North Kyushu. J Uoeh, 1986;8(4):411-414.
- Kouchi, M., Brachycephalization in Japan has ceased. Am J Phys Anthropol, 2000; 112(3):339-347.
- Sergl, H.G., et al., [A dental arch index related to tooth size and facial breadth] Ein zahngrossen- und gesichtsbreitenbezogener Zahnbogenindex. Fortschr.Kieferorthop., 1994;55(3):119-125. (Cited by Rokosi et al, 1993)
Khin Myo Thu, Than Winn, J.A.P. Jayasinghe, Nizam Abdullah. THE MAXILLARY ARCH AND CEPHALOMETRIC MEASUREMENTS: COMPARING ETHNIC MALAYS AND ETHNIC CHINESE IN MALAYSIA. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(2):999-1007. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.140