Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 2 | Page No. 995-998
Date of Publication: 30-04-2015
FISSURES AND LOBES OF LUNGS: A MORPHOLOGICAL AND ANATOMICAL STUDY
Radha K *, Durai Pandian K.
* Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Karpaga Vinayaga Institute of Medical sciences, Kanchipuram. Tamilnadu. India.
Address: Radha K, Assistant Professor, S-8.Staff Quarters, Karpaga Vinayaga medical college, Chinnakolambakkam, Palayanoor Post, Madhuranthagam, Kanchipuram-603308. Tamilnadu. India.
Background and Aims: The fissures of the lungs serve as boundaries for the lobes of the lungs. They also acts as barriers to avoid the spread of pathologies .The proposed aim of the study was to study the fissures and lobes of the lungs and their variations and to compare them with previous studies and to find their clinical implications.
Methods: Thirty pairs of lungs were used for the study, obtained from formalin-fixed cadavers of south-indian origin. The lung specimens were observed for the patterns of lobes and fissures, variations were noted and specimens were photographed.
Results: Five right lungs showed absence of horizontal fissure. Out of thirty, twelve right sided lungs showed incomplete fissures.On the left side, seven specimens showed incomplete oblique fissure. In addition, two right-sided specimens and four left sided specimens showed presence accessory fissure.
Conclusion: The results and their comparison with the previous works show that there is a wide range of difference in occurrence of major, minor and accessory fissures between and among different populations. Knowledge of such variations is mandatory for surgeons in pre-operative planning for performing pulmonary lobectomies and for radiologists for interpreting X-rays and CT scans.
KEY WORDS: Accessory fissure, Horizontal fissure, Lung, Oblique fissure.
- Lavanya. K, M.S.Mallikarjuna Swamy. Segmentation of Lungs, Fissures, Lobes from Chest CT Images and Analysis. International Journal of Electronics Communication and Computer Technology (IJECCT) 2012;2(5):208-212.
- Standring S. (2005) Gray’s Anatomy. 39th edn. Churchill Livingstone, New York. Pp. 945-949.
- Sumita dutta, Lopamudra mandal, sanjay kumar mandal, jayanta biswas, ansuman ray, manimay bandopadhyay- Natural fissures of lung- anatomical basis of surgical techniques and imaging. National journal of medical research 2013;3(2):117-121.
- Rosse C, Gaddum-Rosse P. Hollinshed textbook of Anatomy. Philadelphia: Lipincott-Raven; 1997: 441-61.
- Jacob. S. M. & Pillay, M. Variations in the inter-lobar fissures of lungs obtained from cadavers of South Indian origin. Int.J.Morphol., 2013;31(2):497-499.
- Walker WS, Craig SR. A proposed anatomical classfication of the pulmonary fissures. J R Coll Surg Edinberg 1997;42:233-234.
- Singh, I. & Pal, G. P. Human Embryology. 7th ed. New Delhi, Macmillan India Limited, 2001.
- Meenakshi, S.; Manjunath, K. Y. & Balasubramanyam, V. Morphological variations of the lung fissures and lobes. Indian J.Chest Dis.Allied Sci., 46(3):179-82, 20048.
- Bergman RA, Afifi AK, Miyauchi R. Variationsin peripheral segmentation of right lung and the base of the right and left lungs. In: illustrated Encyclopedia of Human Anatomic Variation.
- Lukose R, Paul S, Sunitha,Daniel M,Abraham SM,Abraham et al.Morphology of the lungs: Variations in the lobes and fissures. Biomedicine.1999;19(3):227-232.
- Ajay Ratnakarrao Nene, Krishna Swami Gajendra, Manchiraju Venkata Ramananda SarmaLung lobes and fissures: a morphological Study October 24, 2011 doi:10.2399/ana.10.005 International journal of Experimental and Clinical Anatomy.
- Tarver RD. How common are incomplete pulmonary fissures,and what is their clinical significance? ARJ Am J Roentgenol.1995;164:761 .
- Kent EM, Blades B. The surgical anatomy of the pulmonary lobes. J Thoracic Surg.1942;12:18-30.
- Jennifer M.J. Richards, Joel Dunning, Jonathan Oparka, Fiona M. Carnochan, William S. Walker. Video–assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy: The Edinburg posterior approach. Annals of Cardiothoracic Surgery.2012;1(1).
- John A.Waldhausen,William S.Pierce,David B.Campbell.Thoracic Surgery.In:Surgery of the Chest.6th edn. Mosby,St Louis,Missouri.1996,p.134.
- Prakash, Ajay Kumar Bhardwaj, M. Shashirekha, Suma H. Y., G. Gowtham Krishna and Gajendra Singh. Lung morphology: a cadaver study in Indian population. IJAE. 2010;115(3):235-240.
Radha K, Durai Pandian K. FISSURES AND LOBES OF LUNGS: A MORPHOLOGICAL AND ANATOMICAL STUDY. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(2):995-998. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.139