Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 2 | Page No. 977-979
Date of Publication: 30-04-2015
ACCESSORY SULCI OF LIVER IN THE POPULATION OF HARYANA
Satish Jain *1, Indersain Gupta 2, Monica Jain 3, RP Singal 4.
*1 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Surgery, Maharaja Agrasen Medical College, Agroha, India.
2 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Orthopaedics, Maharaja Agrasen Medical College, Agroha, India.
3 Professor, Dept. of Anatomy, Maharaja Agrasen Medical College, Agroha, India.
4 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Radiology, Maharaja Agrasen Medical College, Agroha, India.
Address: Dr. Satish Jain, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Surgery, Maharaja Agrasen Medical College, Agroha, India.
Aims and objectives: Research on segmental anatomy of liver has been extensively done but very little work is done on Accessory Sulcus (AS).
Participants: Present study was carried on 36 cadaveric livers with mean age ranging between 30-60 years
Main outcome measures: Although, variation in surface of liver are reported but very few studies are there which reports their presence on inferior surface, on caudate lobe, in gall bladder fossa and right lateral surface of liver.
Results: We found AS in 13 livers (36.1%) out of 40 livers. These Sulci were transverse, vertical as well as curved in shape. Out of these in nine liver a single sulcus was present (25%) while in five livers the sulci were multiple (13.88%).
Conclusion: This study highlights the occurrence of variations on the liver surface. The finding of this study may be utilized by imaging specialists & surgeons respectively to avoid errors in interpretations & subsequent misdiagnosis.
KEY WORDS: Sulcus, Accessory, Liver, Caudate, Gall Bladder.
- Zahn FW. Note sur les plis respiratoires du diaphragme et les sillons diaphragmatiques du foie. Rev. Méd Suisse Romande. 1882;2: 531–535.
- Thompson A: The morphological significance of certain fissures in the human liver. J Anat Physio 1899:33:22
- Newel RLM M.JR. Groovs in the superior surface of the liver: Clin
- Macchi V, Porzionato A, Parenti A, Macchi C, Newell R, De Caro R . Main accessory sulcus of the liver. Clin Anat. 2005 Jan; 18(1):39-45.
- Suksaweang S, Lin CM, Jiang TX, Hughes MW, Widelitz RB, Chuong CM. Morphogenesis of chicken liver: identification of growth zones and the role of beta-catenin /Wnt in size regulation. Dev. Biol. 2004; 266: 109-122.
- Muktyaz H, Nema U, Suniti MR, Mahboobul. Anatomical study of Accessory Sulci of Liver and its Clinical Significance in North Indian Population. Int J Med Health Sci. 2013 April; 2(2):224-229.
- Macchi V, Feltrin G, Parenti A and De Caro R. Diaphragmmatic sulci and portal fissures. Journal of Anatomy. 2003; 202: 303-308.
- Othmane FB, Latiffe AA, Suhaimie FH, Dasos S. Accessory Sulci of the Liver. An anatomical study with clinical implications. Saudi Medical Journal 2008; 29(9): 1247-1249.
- Joshi SD, Joshi SS, Athavale SA; Some interesting observations on the surface features of the liver and their clinical implications: Singapore Med. J. 2009; 50: 715-719.
- Schafer E, Symington J. Quain's Elements Anatomy. 10th edn. London: Longmans, Green and Corp.; 1896. p. 128.
Satish Jain, Indersain Gupta, Monica Jain, RP Singal. ACCESSORY SULCI OF LIVER IN THE POPULATION OF HARYANA. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(2):977-979. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.115