Type of Article : Case Report
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 1 | Page No. 963-965
Date of Publication: 31-03-2015
BILATERAL OCCURRENCE OF THE VESTIGIAL MUSCLE PSOAS MINOR: A CASE REPORT
Deepa Somanath *1, Shivali Srivastava 2.
*1 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Anatomy, Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College, Puducherry, India.
2 Post Graduate Student, Dept. of Anatomy, Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College, Puducherry, India.
Address: Dr. Deepa Somanath, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Anatomy, Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College, Madagadipet, Puducherry- 605 107, India.
Muscles which regress during the process of evolution are called as vestigial muscles. One of them in humans is psoas minor, which sometimes forms a part of the posterior abdominal wall. It is clinically significant in relation to sports medicine and as a differential diagnosis for certain conditions. The following article presents a case report in a 60 year old male cadaver with bilateral psoas minor.
KEY WORDS: Psoas Minor, Vestigial Muscle, Posterior Abdominal Wall, Psoas Minor Syndrome.
- Guerra DR, Reis FP, Bastos AA, Brito CJ, Silva RJS, Aragao J A. Anatomical study on the psoas minor muscle in human fetuses. Int.J.Morpho. 2012;30 (1):136-139.
- Standring S, Healy JC, Johnson D, Collins P, Crossman A R, Gatzoulis M A et al. Gray’s Anatomy: The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice. 40th Edn. London Churchill Livingstone; 2008: 1072, 1368.
- Sonali A, Sontakke Y, Joshi SS, Joshi SD. Morphology of Psoas Minor Muscle – Reviewed. Journal of evolution of medical and dental sciences 2013 Aug; 12(31):5867-5874.
- Gandhi S , Gupta N, Thakur A, Anshu A, Mehta V, Suri RK , Rath G. Anatomical and Clinical Insight Of Variant Morphologies Of Psoas Minor Muscle: A Case Report. Int J Cur Res Rev. 2013 Jul; 5(14):106-110.
- Seib GA. Incidence of the m. psoas minor in man. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 1934;19:229-246.
- Hanson P, Magnusson SP, Sorensen H, Simonsen EB. Anatomical differences in the Psoas muscles in young black and white men. J. Anat. 1999;194 (2):303-307.
- Farias MCG, Oliveira BDR, Rocha TDS, Caiaffo V. Morphological and morphometric analysis of Psoas Minor Muscle in cadavers. J. Morphol. Sci. 2012;29(4):202-205.
- Joshi S D, Joshi S S, Dandekar UK, Daimi SR. Morphology of Psoas minor & Psoas accessorius. J. Anat. Soc. India. 2010;59(1):31-34.
Deepa Somanath, Shivali Srivastava. BILATERAL OCCURRENCE OF THE VESTIGIAL MUSCLE PSOAS MINOR: A CASE REPORT. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(1):963-965. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.132