International Journal of Anatomy and Research

Welcome to International Journal of Anatomy and Research





Type of Article : Original

Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 1 | Page No. 927-934

Date of Publication: 31-03-2015



Ashraf Mohamed Elsayed Ali SAKRAN *1, Mohammad Afzal KHAN 2, Faris Mohammed Nour ALTAF 3, Hassan Elsiddig Hassan FARAGALLA 4, Amal Yousif Ahmed Elhaj MUSTAFA 5, Muhammad Mazhar HIJAZI 6, Rayan Abdulshakur NIYAZI 7, Abrar Jamal TAWAKUL 8, Abeer Zubair MALEBARI 9, Amal AbdulAziz SALEM 10.

*1,2,3,5,6 Department of Human Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Umm al Qura University, Makkah, Saudi Arabia.
4 Department of Public Health, Health Sciences College at Al.leith, Umm al Qura University, Saudi Arabia.
7,8,9,10 Medical students, Faculty of Medicine, Umm al Qura University, Makkah, Saudi Arabia.

Address: Dr. Ashraf M. E.A. Sakran, Department of Human Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Umm al Qura University, P.O. Box: 7607, Makkah, Saudi Arabia. Phone: 00966568841873 or 00249912254379


Background and objective: Precise anatomical knowledge of the sella turcica is important for neurologists and surgeons operating in the region of cavernous sinus or the surrounding structures. The current study was undertaken to record normal morphometric parameters for future reference and to determine if there is any significance difference in the sella turcica morphometry regarding the gender.
Methodology: A Morphometric analysis of the Sella Turcica and structures in vicinity were done in thirty six adults’ formalin fixed cadaver's skulls (22 male and 14 female).
Results: The pituitary stalk positions were middle in majority of male cases (72.7%), the remaining 27.3% were posterior. Among female; 57.1% were middle and the remaining 42.9% were posterior, no anterior position was detected among both genders with no different between male and female (p = 0.494) Normal Optic chiasma position was detected in all female cases and in 63.6% of male cases with no significant differences regarding gender (p= 0.070).
No significant different in diaphragma sella shape and opening regarding gender (p.value = 0.170 and 0.914 respectively) No significant difference between males and females concerning linear dimensions of sella turcica (length, depth and Anteroposterior diameters).  Concerning diaphragma sella opening; no significant different regarding gender in transverse diameter (p.value= 0.316) while significant different was detected in anteroposterior diameter (p.value= 0.046) For interclinoid (anterior, posterior) diameters, which represented statistically significant different regarding gender in both right and left sides (p.value = 0.004 and 0.001 respectively).
Conclusion: The current study will provide normal morphometric data for future reference and further studies.
KEY WORDS: Sella turcica, Morphometry, Gender.


  1. Snell RS. The head and neck. In: Clinical Anatomy by Regions. 8th ed.;New York; Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. 2008 : 667-850.
  2. Ju KS, Bae HG, Park HK, Chang JC, Choi SK, Sim KM. Morphometric study of  the Korean  adult Pituitary glands and the Diaphragma sellae Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2010;47:42-47.
  3. Sinnatamby CS (ed). Last's anatomy: Regional and Applied. Edinburgh; Churchill Livingstone. 2004; 501-504.  
  4. Ranganathan TS,In: Text Book of Human Anatomy 5th Ed. S Chand and Company, New Delhi. 1993:528-529.   
  5. Alkofide EA. The shape and size of the sella turcica in skeletal Class I, Class II, and Class III  Saudi subjects. Eur J Orthod. 2007;29:457-63.    
  6. Zagga AD, Ahmed H, Tadros AA, Saidu SA. Description of the normal variants of the anatomical shapes of the sella turcica using plain radiographs: experience from Sokoto, Northwest- ern Nigeria. Ann Afr Med. 2008;7:77-81.
  7. Swallow CE, Osborn AG. Imaging of sella and parasellar disease. Seminars in Ultrasound, CT, and MRI. 1998;19:257-271.
  8. Dostalova S, Sonka K, Smahel Z, Weiss V, Marek J. Cephalometric assessment of cranial abnormalities in patients with acromegaly. J Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surg. 2003;31:80-87.
  9. Giustina. A. Maira G, Bianchi A Bonadonna S,  De Marinis L. Primary empty sella.    J Clin Endocrin and Met. 2005;90:5471-5477.
  10. Axelsson S, Storhaug K, Kjaer I. Post-natal size and morphology of the sella turcica. In Williams syndrome. European Journal of Orthodontics. 2004; 26:613-621.
  11. Paul S, Das S. Anomalous posterior clinoid process and its clinical importance. Colombia Medica. 2007; 38(3): 301-304.   
  12. Gulsen S,  Dinc AH, Unal M, Cantürk N, Altinors N.  Characterization of the anatomic  location of the Pituitary stalk and Its relationship to the Dorsum Sellae, Tuberculum Sellae and Chiasmatic Cistern, J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2010;47 :169-173 4.     
  13. Rhoton AL. The sellar region. Neurosurg 2002; 51:S335- S374.
  14. Kirgis HD, Locke W. Anatomy and embryology. In: Locke W, Schally AV, editors. The       hypothalamus and pituitary in health and disease. Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas.1972; p. 3–65.         
  15. Amar AP, Weiss MH. Pituitary anatomy and physiology. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2003; 14:11-23.  
  16. Campero A, Martins C, Yasuda A, Rhoton AL Jr. Microsurgical anatomy of the diaphragma sellae and its role in directing the pattern of growth of pituitary adenomas. Neurosurgery. 2008;62:717–723.
  17. Liang Jin, QI Song-tao, Fan Jun, Shi Jin, Lu Yun- tao,Yan Xiao-rong. Anatomic features of diaphragma sellae and its clinic implications. Chinese Journal Of Clinical Anatomy 2013; 31(2):123-126.
  18. Subhadra Devi V, Baburao S. Age and sex related morphology and morphometry of sellar region of sphenoid in prenatal and postnatal human cadavers. Int. J. Res. Dev. Health . 2013 ; 1 (3): 141-148.  
  19. Shah AM, Bashir U, Ilyas T. The shape and size of the sella turcica in skeletal Class I, II, and III in patients presenting at Islamic International Dental Hospital, Islamabad. Pakistan  Oral and Dental J. 2011; 31(1): 104-110.
  20. Hass LL. The size of the sella turcica by age and sex. Am J Roentgenol Radium. Ther Nucl Med. 1954; 72: 754-761.
  21. Inoue T, Rhoton ALJr, Theele D, Barry ME. Surgical approaches to the cavernous sinus: a microsurgical study. Neurosurgery 1990; 26: 903-932.
  22. Chanda A, Nanda A. Anatomical study of the orbitozygomatic transsellar- transcavernous - transclinoidal approach to the basilar artery bifurcation. J Neurosurg 2002; 97: 151-160.
  23. Bilodi AKSS. Study of sella turcica with associated anomalies in human skulls. J Institute Med Nepal. 2005; 27: 3-6.


Ashraf Mohamed Elsayed Ali SAKRAN, Mohammad Afzal KHAN, Faris Mohammed Nour ALTAF, Hassan Elsiddig Hassan FARAGALLA, Amal Yousif Ahmed Elhaj MUSTAFA, Muhammad Mazhar HIJAZI, Rayan Abdulshakur NIYAZI, Abrar Jamal TAWAKUL, Abeer Zubair MALEBARI, Amal AbdulAziz SALEM. A MORPHOMETRIC STUDY OF THE SELLA TURCICA; GENDER EFFECT. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(1):927-934. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.118




Volume 1 (2013)

Volume 2 (2014)

Volume 3 (2015)

Submit Manuscript