Type of Article : Original
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 1 | Page No. 884-888
Date of Publication: 28-02-2015
ASSOCIATION OF HAND LENGTH WITH HEIGHT IN MEDICAL STUDENTS ENROLLED IN SKIMS MEDICAL COLLEGE, INDIA
Sajad Hamid *1, Arsalaan F. Rashid 2, Qazi Najeeb 3, Shahnawaz Hamid 4, Arif Makdoomi 5.
*1 Lecturer Anatomy, SKIMS Medical College, Bemina, India.
2 Post-MD Demonstrator Forensic Medicine, SKIMS Medical College Bemina, India.
3 Post-MD Demonstrator Biochemistry, SKIMS Medical College Bemina, India.
4 Post-Graduate Hospital Administration, SKIMS, Soura, India.
5 Demonstrator Anatomy, GMC, Srinagar, India.
Address: Dr. Sajad Hamid, Lecturer Anatomy, Skims Medical College, Bemina, India. E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction: Stature is considered as one of the important parameters for personal identification. So, Stature reconstruction is important as it provides forensic anthropological estimation of the height of a person in the living state which plays a vital role in the identification of individual remains.
Aim: The aim of the present study was to investigate the association of hand length with height and to show if height could be predicted using hand length measurements in students of SKIMS Medical college.
Methodology: The study of the anthropometric characteristics of 100 Medical College students of ages between 18-23 years of SKIMS Medical college, bemina with no obvious deformities or previous history of trauma to the spine or hand was undertaken. The study of these medical students, males (n=50) & females (n=50) was investigated. The anthropometric characteristics of their height and hand length were measured, analysed statistically for any significant difference, and correlation between the parameters studied.
Results: The results show some significant differences between the anthropometric parameters Pearson’s correlation analysis was used and showed a strong positive correlation, which means that high X variable scores go with high Y variable scores.(R is 0.8229) and significant. Results from the present study show that there was a positive correlation between height and hand length indicating that height could be predicted using hand length.
Conclusion: As age groups increase the mean length of hand also increase, so there is direct relation between length of hand and age groups. Definite proportion also exists between the height and hand length in an individual at all ages, irrespective of the sex. Height of an individual is 9 times the height of hand length.Thus we can predict height from hand length when it is difficult or not possible to measure height directly.
KEY WORDS: Height, Hand Length, Anthropometry, Medical College.
- Gauld R. F., & Rakhir S. M. The nutritional status of disabled children: a cross-sectional survey. Eur. J Clin Nutr. 2004;53(12):915-919.
- Amirsheybani H. R., Crecelius G. M., Timothy N. H., Pfeiffer M., Saggers G. C., & Manders E.K. The natural history of growth of hand. Part I: Hand area as a percentage of body surface area. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2000;107(3):726-733.
- Jalzem, P. F, & Gledhill R. B. Predicting height from limb measurement. Journal of Paediatrics and Orthopaedics 1993;13(6):761-65.
- Duyar I. & Pelin C. Body height estimation based on tibia length in different stature groups. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 2003;122:23-27.
- Duyar I., Pelin C., & Zagyapan R. (2006). A new method of stature estimation for forensic anthropological application. Anthropological Science International 2006;114:23-27.
- Amirsheybani H. R., Crecelius G. M., Timothy N. H., Pfeiffer M., Saggers G. C., & Manders E.K. The natural history of growth of hand. Part II: Hand length as a treatment guide in paediatric trauma patients. Journal of trauma 2001;49:457-460.
- De Mendonca, M. C., (2000). Estimation of height from lengths of long bones in a Portuguese adult population. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 112, 39-48.
- Patel SM, Shah GV, Patel SV. Estimation of height from measurements of foot length in Gujurat region. J Anat Soc India. 2007; 56:25-25
- Agnihotri AK, Shukla S, Purwar B. Determination of sex from the foot measurements. The Internet J Forensic Sci. 2007; 2:1.
- El-Meligy MMS, Abdel-Hady RH, Abdel-Maaboud RM, Mohamed ZT. Estimation of human body built in Egyptians. Forensic Sci Int. 2006;159:27-31.
- Ozaslan A, Iscan MY, Ozaslan I, Tugcu H, Koc S. Estimation of stature from body parts. Forensic Sci Int. 2003; 132:40-5.
- Ozden H, Balci Y, Demirustu C, Turgut A, Ertugrul M. Stature and sex estimate using foot and shoe dimensions. Forensic Sci Int. 2005; 147:181-4.
- Krishan K., & Sharma, A. (2007). Estimation of stature from dimension of hands and feet in North Indian Population. Journal of forensic and Legal Medicine 2007;14:327-332.
- Anitie H. Worldwide variation in human growth. 2007;4:67– 68. Cambridge University Press.
- Hauser R., Smolinski J., & Gos T. The estimation of stature on the basis of measurements of femur. Forensic Science International 2005;147:181-184.
- Auerbach B. M., & Ruff C. B. Human body mass estimation: a comparison of morphometric and mechanical methods. American Journal of physical anthropology 2004;125: 331-342.
- Bidmos, M. A. A statuer reconstruction from the calcaneus of south Africans of European descent. Journal of clinical and forensic medicine 2006;13:247-252.
- Bidmos, M. A. Evaluation of accuracy of direct and indirect methods in stature reconstruction. Journal of clinical and forensic medicine 2009.
- Gauld, R. F. & Rakhir S. M. The prediction of stature from handlength. Journal of crime and criminalistic 1996;8:79-81.
- Ebite M. N., S. T., & Frisher K. R. Predicting stature through hand length. Journal of crime and criminalistic 2000;52:23-27.
- Bhatnagar, D., Thapar,S., & British, M. Identification of personal height from the somatometry of the hands in Punjabi males. Forensic Science International 1984;24:137-141.
- Boldsen, J. A statistical evaluation of the basis for predicting stature from lengths of long bones in European populations. American Journal of physical Anthropology 1984;65:305-311.
- Fessler D. M T., Haley K. J., & Lai R.D. Sexual dimorphism in hand length proportionate to stature. Ann Hum Biol. 2005; 32(1): 44-59.
- Thakur SD., & Rai KS. Determination of stature from hand measurement. Medicine Science and Law 1987;78:25-28.
- Iscan M. Y. Rise of forensic anthropology. Year Book of Physical Anthropology 1988;31:203-230.
- Nath, S., Dayal, N. & Chandara, N. S. Reconstruction of stature using percutaneous lengths of forearm bones among Mundas of Midnapore district. Journal of West Bengal Human Biology 1998;37:170-175.
- Trotter, M. & Glesser, G. C. Are evaluations of estimation of stature based on measurements of stature taken during life and of long bones after death, American Journal of Physical Anthropology 1958; 16(1):79-123.
- Iscan, M. Y. Editorial: Global Forensic anthropology in the 21st century. Forensic Science International 2001;117:1-6.
- Mauthausen K., & Gusen, Y. R. Estimation of actual individual height during the exhumation of the remains of the former concentration camps. Journal of Forensic Science 1959;3:533-537.
- WHO. Physical status, the use and interpretation of athropometrics. Report of a WHO Expert Committee Technical Report Series No 854, Geneva, 1995.
- Jasuga O. P, Singh J, & Jain M. Estimation of stature from hand, foot and shoe measurement by multiplication factors: A reviewed attempt. Forensic Science International 2004;50:203-215.
- Ruff C. B. Body mass prediction from skeletal frame size in elite athletes. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 2000;113(4):507-517.
- Shintaku K., & Furuyay. Estimation of stature based on the proximal phalangeal length of Japanese women’s hand. JUEOH. 1990; 12(2): 215-219.
- Kanchan T., Krishan K, Sharma A, & Menezes RG. A study of correlation of hand and foot dimensions for personal identification in mass disasters. Forensic Science International 2010; 199: 112-116.
- Danborno B, Elukpo A: Sexual Dimorphism in Hand and Foot Length, Indices,Stature-ratio and Relationship to Height in Nigerians. The Internet Journal of Forensic Science. 2008;3(1).
- Sanli SG, Kizilkanat ED, Boyan Ozsahin NE, M. Bozkir MG, Soames R, Erol H, and Oguz O. Stature Estimation Based on Hand Length and Foot Length. Clin Anat 2005; 18:589-596.
Sajad Hamid, Arsalaan F. Rashid, Qazi Najeeb, Shahnawaz Hamid, Arif Makdoomi. ASSOCIATION OF HAND LENGTH WITH HEIGHT IN MEDICAL STUDENTS ENROLLED IN SKIMS MEDICAL COLLEGE, INDIA. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(1):884-888. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.110