Type of Article : Original
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 1 | Page No. 899-905
Date of Publication: 31-03-2015
MORPHOMETRIC MEASUREMENT OF MENTAL FORAMEN IN DRY HUMAN MANDIBLE IN NORTH INDIAN POPULATION
Rakesh Kumar Shukla 1, Prerna Gupta *2, Muktyaz Hussein 3, Fida Hussain 4, Abhishek Bahadur Singh 5.
1 PG Student, Department of Anatomy, Integral Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Lucknow, U.P. India.
*2 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Integral Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Lucknow, U.P. India.
3 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Govt. Medical College, Ambedkar Nagar, U.P. India.
4 Professor, Department of Anatomy, Integral Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Lucknow, U.P. India.
5 Senior Resident, Department of Otorhinolarygology, King George Medical University, Lucknow, U.P. India.
Address: Dr. Prerna Gupta, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Integral Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Lucknow, U.P. India. Contact No: +919451793415, +919721504474.
Background: The mental foramen is one of the two holes ("foramina") located on the anterior surface of the mandible. It permits passage of the mental nerve and vessels. The mental foramen descends slightly in edentulous individuals.
Methods: The present study was carried out in the department of anatomy on 70 Adult North Indian dry Mandibles of unknown age and sex which were obtained from the osteology section of Integral Institute of Medical Sciences and Research & King George medical university. The Mandibles were observed macroscopically for the presence of mental foramen.
Results: In our study we observed that the oval shape of mental foramen was 87.1% on right side and 88.6% on left side. Round mental foramen was observed to be 12.9% on the right side and 11.4% on left side. The Position of Mental foramen in relation to borders left side were found Central (87.1%), upper border (7.1%), lower side (5.7%) and right side Central (85.7%) , upper border (10%) and lower side (4.3%).
Conclusions: Knowledge of the mental foramen and it’s variation in different population is essential for dentists, orthopedicians and anatomists. A future prospect of interest lies in their possible contribution to the maxillofacial anthropologic characteristic identification for different population and races.
KEY WORDS: Mental foramen, Morphometric, Measurement, Human Mandible.
- Igbigbi P. S. and Lebona S. The position and dimensions of the mental foramen in adult Malawian mandibles, West African Journal of Medicine. 2005;24(3):184–189.
- Santini A. and Land M. A comparison of the position of the mental foramen in Chinese and British mandibles. Acta Anatomica 1990;137(3):208–212.
- Siddiqui Abu Ubaida, Daimi Syed Rehan, Mishra Parmatama Prasad, Doshi Suraj Sudarshan, Date Jay Yashwant, Khurana Guruditta. Morphological and morphometric analysis of mental foramen utilizing various assessment parameters in dry human mandibles. International Journal of Students Research 2011;1(1).
- Agthong S, Huanmanop T, Chentanez V. Anatomical variation of the supraorbital, infraorbital, and mental foramina related to gender and side. j oral maxillofacsurg. 2005;63:800-904.
- Phillips John L., Weller R. Norman, Kulild James C. The mental foramen: Part III. Size and position on panoramic radiographs. Elsevier publication. Journal of Endodontics 1992;18(8):383-386.
- Agarwal D. R. and Gupta S. B. Morphometric analysis of mental foramen in human mandibles of south Gujarat. People’s Journal of Scientific Research 2011;4(1):15–18.
- Sawyer, Kiely Ml, Pyle Ma. The frequency of accessory mental foramina in four ethnic groups. Arch oral boil. 1998;43:417-20.
- Defreitas V., Mdeira M. C., Tsledofilhs J. L., and Chagas C. F. Absence of the mental foramen in dry human mandible. Acta Anatomica 1979;104(3):353–355.
- Hasan T., Fauzi M., and Hasan. Bilateral absence of mental foramen, a rare Variation. International Journal of Anatomical Variations 2010;3:167–169.
- Cag Irankaya LB and Kansu H. An accessory mental foramen: a case report. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2008;9:98-104.
- Udhaya K., Saraladevi K.V., Sridhar J. The morphometric analysis of mental foramen in dry human mandible: a case report Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2013 Aug;7(8):1547-1551.
- Gershenson A., Nathan H., Luchansky E. Mental Foramen and Mental Nerve: Changes with Age. Acta Anatomica 1986;126:21–28.
- Sonick M, Abrahams J, Faiella Ra. A comparison of the accuracy of periapical, panoramic, and computerized tomographic radiographs in locating the mandibular canal. Int. j oral maxillofac implants 1994;9:455-68.
- Tebo HG, Telford IR. An analysis of the variations in position of the mental foramen. Anat Rec.1950;107:61–66.
- Fishel D., Buchner A., Hershkowith A., Kaffe I. Roentgenologic study of the mental foramen. Original Research Article, Elsevier Publication, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology 1976;41(5):682-686.
- Wang T.-M., Shif C.,Liu J.-C., Kuo K.-J., A Clinical and Anatomical Study of the Location of the Mental Foramen in Adult Chinese Mandibles. Acta Anatomica 1986;126:29–33.
- Jasser NM Al and Nwoku AL done Radiographic study of the mental foramen in a selected Saudi population -Dentomaxillofacial Radiology 1998;27:341-343.
- Ahmet Ercan Sekerci, Halil Sahman, Yildiray Sisman, Yusuf Aksu . Morphometric analysis of the mental foramen in a Turkish population based on multi-slice computed tomography. J Oral Maxillofac Radiol 2013;1:2-7.
- Mbajiorgu EF, Mawera G, Asala SA, Zivanovic S. Position of the mental foramen in adult black Zimbabwean mandibles: a clinical anatomical study. The Central African Journal of Medicine. 1998;44(2):24-30.
- Ilayperuma, I.; Nanayakkara, G. & Palahepitiya, N. Morphometric analysis of the mental foramen in adult Sri Lankan mandibles. Int. J. Morphol., 2009;27(4):1019-1024.
- Naitoh Munetaka, Hiraiwa Yuichiro, Aimiya Hidetoshi, Gotoh Kenichi, Ariji Eiichiro. Accessory mental foramen assessment using cone-beam computed tomography. Original Research Article by Elsevier Publication. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontology 2009;107(2):289-294.
- Shankland WE 2nd. The position of the mental foramen in Asian Indians. The Journal of Oral Implantology 1994;20(2):118-123.
- Pokhrel R, Bhatnagar R. Position and number of mental foramen in dry human mandibles: Comparison with respect to sides and sexes. OA Anatomy 2013 Dec 01; 1(4):31.
Rakesh Kumar Shukla, Prerna Gupta, Muktyaz Hussein, Fida Hussain, Abhishek Bahadur Singh. MORPHOMETRIC MEASUREMENT OF MENTAL FORAMEN IN DRY HUMAN MANDIBLE IN NORTH INDIAN POPULATION. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(1):899-905. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.106