Type of Article : Case Report
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 1 | Page No. 828-830
Date of Publication: 31-01-2015
VARIATION IN THE BRANCHING PATTERN OF FACIAL ARTERY: PREMASSETERIC ARTERY
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Anatomy, Sri Manakula Vinagar Medical College, Puducherry, India.
Address: Dr. Deepa Somanath, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Anatomy, Sri Manakula Vinagar Medical College, Madagadipet, Puducherry- 605 107, India.E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Arterial variations are uncommon. In the present case, the arterial variation observed was an additional branch of the facial artery arising from the main trunk while it crosses the base of the mandible. It ascended on the masseter and terminated into three branches. Knowledge of vascular variations will enhance the surgical precision, avoid misdiagnosis and prevent iatrogenic complications during surgical procedures of the face.
KEYWORDS: Facial artery, Premasseteric artery, Variation.
- Standring, Gray’s Anatomy: The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice. 40th ed. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone, 2008.
- Kumar N, Nayak BS, Shetty S, Guru A. Unusual posterior (premasseteric) branch of facial artery- a case report. International Journal of Anatomical Variations 2011;4:161-163.
- Kolte VS, Khambatta S, Ambiye MV. Bilateral anatomical variation in the arterial supply of face involving the facial and transverse facial artery. International Journal of Anatomy and Research 2014; 2(1):256-258.
- Orhan M, Nuket G, Sevda S, Mete E, Umit K, Selim H. Facial artery: Its importance for craniofacial surgery. Turkish Neurosurgery 2009; 19(1):45-50.
- Lydia SQ, Babu A, D’Souza AS. Facial artery on face- a study on south Indian cadavers and specimens. Nitte University Journal of Health Science 2013; 3(3):72-76.
- Kumar A, Elumalai G, Thangamani M, Palayathan N, Singh MK. A rare variation in facial artery and its implications in facial surgery: Case report. Journal of Surgery 2014; 2(5): 68-71.
Deepa Somanath. VARIATION IN THE BRANCHING PATTERN OF FACIAL ARTERY: PREMASSETERIC ARTERY. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(1):828-830. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2014.555