Type of Article : Case Report
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 1 | Page No. 825-827
Date of Publication: 31-01-2015
INIENCEPHALY AND ASSOCIATED ANOMALIES IN A 13 WEEK FETUS
Maneesha Sharma 1,Sukhinder Baidwan *2, P K Gupta 3.
1,3 Professor, Department of Anatomy, Gian Sagar Medical College & Hospital, Ramnagar, Banur, Patiala, Punjab, India.
*2 Associate professor, Department of Anatomy, Gian Sagar Medical College & Hospital, Ramnagar, Banur, Patiala, Punjab, India.
Address: Dr Sukhinder Baidwan, House No 313, Sector 71, Mohali, Sas Nagar, Punjab-160071, India. Tele No.: +919872812002 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Iniencephaly is a rare neural tube defect (1 in 65,000 births in India). It involves defect of occiput and inions combined with rachischisis and retroflexion of head. We present a rare case of inencephaly diagnosed on ante-natal ultrasound in a 13 weeks fetus and associated with cystic hygroma and single umbilical artery. The fetal cervico-thoracic spine was retroflexed, occipital area was soft and brain tissue and spinal cord was visible externally in cervical region. The side of neck showed subcutaneous edema and two vessels (1 umbilical vein and 1 umbilical artery) were present in the umbilical cord. On x-ray examination spinous processes of all vertebrae showed presence of ossification centers except in the cervical region.
KEY WORDS: Iniencephaly, Rachischisis, Cystic hygroma.
- Jayant K, Mehta A, Sanghvi LD. A study of congenital malformations in Mumbai. J Obstet & Gynaecol India. 1961;11:280-294.
- Ballantyne JW. The embryo. In: Manual of Antenatal Pathology and Hygiene. Edinburgh: W Green and Sons, 1904: 272-285.
- Ramakrishnan S, Sharma D, Ramakrishnan V, Parihar PS, Sharma S, Kanther DK. Iniencephaly with Cyclops (a case report). J Postgrad Med. 1991;37:51-2.
- Chen CP. Prenatal diagnosis of iniencephaly. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 46:199-207.
- Tugrul S, Uludoğan M, Pekin O, Uslu H, Çelik C, Ersan F. Iniencephaly: Prenatal diagnosis with postmortem findings. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2007; 33: 566–569.
- Sharma S, Singh M. Anencephaly with cystic hygroma: Antenatal detection. J K Science. 2000; 2(2):107-9.
- Kulkarni PR, Rao RV, Alur MB, Joshi SK. Iniencephaly clauses: A case report with review of literature. J Pediatr Neurosci. 2011; 6(2): 121-123.
- Gadodia A, Gupta P, Sharma R, Kumar S, Gupta G. Antenatal sonography and MRI of iniencephaly apertus and clausus. Fetal Diagn ther. 2010;27(3):178-80.
- Hemal U, Solanki RS, Varsheney A, Baliga S. Prenatal diagnosis of iniencephaly on ultrasound. Indian J Radiol Imaging. 2004;14(3):265-6.
Maneesha Sharma, Sukhinder Baidwan, P K Gupta. INIENCEPHALY AND ASSOCIATED ANOMALIES IN A 13 WEEK FETUS. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(1):825-827. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2014.546