Type of Article : Case Report
Year: 2014 | Volume 2 | Issue 4 | Page No. 814-815
Date of Publication: 31-12-2014
VARIATION IN BRANCHING PATTERN OF AXILLARY NERVE
Jaishree. H * 1, Ashwini. H 2.
*1 Tutor, Dept. of Anatomy, ESIC Medical College, Gulbarga, Karnataka, India.
2 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Anatomy, Gulbarga Institute of Medical Sciences, Gulbarga, Karnataka, India.
Address: Dr Jaishree H. MD Anatomy, Tutor, Dept. of Anatomy, ESIC Medical College, Gulbarga, Karnataka, India.
In our present case the axillary nerve on both sides was arising from posterior cord. About 2.5cm from its origin at the lateral border of subscapularis, it gave 2 branches i.e anterior and posterior branch. The axillary nerve branched before entering the quadrangular space. Knowledge of the precise relationship of the branches of the axillary nerve, its relationship to the shoulder capsule and its common variations within deltoid muscle is necessary for performing surgical procedures over shoulder and reduce the incidence of iatrogenic nerve damage.
KEYWORDS: Axillary nerve, Quadrangular space, Shoulder joint.
- Jobe CM. Gross anatomy of the shoulder. In: Rockwood CA Jr, Matsen FA 3rd, edition. The shoulder. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1990. p 70-2.
- A.K.Datta, Essentials of Human Anatomy, 4th Edition, Current Books International; 2009, p no 52.
- M. Loukas, J. Grabska, R. S. Tubbs, N. Apaydin, and R. Jordan, “Mapping the axillary nerve within the deltoid muscle,” Surgical and Radiologic Anatomy, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 43–47, 2009. Mapping the axillary nerve within the deltoid muscle, 2009;31(1):43-47.Surgical and Radiologic Anatomy
- Tubbs, R. Shane, Elizabeth C. Tyler-Kabara, Alan C. Aikens, Justin P. Martin, Leslie L. Weed, E. George Salter, and W. Jerry Oakes. Surgical anatomy of the axillary nerve within the quadrangular space. Journal of Neurosurgery. 2005;102(5):912-914.
- Perlmutter, Gary S., and William Apruzzese. Axillary nerve injuries in contact sports: recommendations for treatment and rehabilitation, Sports Med. 1998;26(5):351-361.
Jaishree. H, Ashwini. H. VARIATION IN BRANCHING PATTERN OF AXILLARY NERVE. Int J Anat Res 2014;2(4):814-815. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2014.557