Type of Article : Original Article
Year: 2014 | Volume 2 | Issue 4 | Page No. 791-796
Date of Publication: 31-12-2014
A CORROSION CAST STUDY OF RAMIFICATION PATTERN OF PORTAL VEIN IN RIGHT LOBE OF HUMAN LIVER
Rajput AS *1, Kumari S 2, Mishra GP 3.
*1 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, RIMS, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh, India.
2 Assistant Professor, Department of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, Mayo Institute of Medical Sciences, Barabanki, Uttar Pradesh, India.
3 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, Career Institute of Medical Sciences and Hospitals, Ghaila, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Address: Dr. Ajay Singh Rajput, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, RIMS, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh, India. 301, Eldeco Emperor, New Hyderabad, Lucknow, UP, India 226007. Phone : +918418995515
Objectives: The aim of the study was to know the intrahepatic ramification pattern of portal vein in right lobe of liver & its variations.
Methods: 25 human fresh livers were obtained after autopsy and studied by corrosion cast method. Polymeric granules of butyl butyrate were dissolved in acetone and 20% homogenous solution was made. Solution was injected into portal vein and the injected liver was placed in 10 % formal saline for 24 hours at room temperature (20°C) for polymerization of infused butyl butyrate solution. Maceration of liver tissue achieved by whole-organ immersion in 1.8 N KOH solution at 68°C for 24 hrs. Each cast thus obtained was preserved in glycerin and details were studied.
Results: The length of the right portal vein varies 0.5 to 1.8 cm (1.2 cm). The right portal vein bifurcated into second order branches - right anterior portal vein (RAPV) & right posterior portal vein (RPPV) in 87 % of the cases, while trifurcated in rest of 13 % of cases. The angle between the anterior and posterior division ranged from 58°-95 °. Anterio-superior (P8) branch shown three type of ramification - Bifurcation type (72 %), P8- one pedicle type (8 %) and P8- trifurcation type (20%). Anterio-inferior (P5 max ) branch shown the three type of ramification pattern - P5 -common type (72 %), P5 – P8 anterior type (28 %) but P5 – P8 posterior type was not observed. Right Posterior Portal Vein has shown three types of ramification pattern - Type I-Fan shaped (64%),Type II (28 %) & Type III-Trifurcation type (8%).
Conclusions: The findings of present study on hepatic vasculature have immense importance in the field of hepato-biliary surgeries like hepatic resection, segmentectomy and liver transplantation.
KEY WORDS: Liver, Corrosion cast, Portal vein, Ramification, Right lobe.
- Couinaud C. Liver lobes and segments: notes on the anatomical architecture and surgery of the liver. Presse Med. 1954 May 5;62(33):709-12. French.
- Hjortsjo CH. The topography of the intrahepatic duct systems. Acta Anat (Basel) 1951; 11(4):599-615.
- Elias H, Petty D. Gross anatomy of the blood vessels and ducts within the human liver. Am J Anat. 1952 Jan; 90(1):59-111.
- Healey JE Jr, Schroy PC. Anatomy of the biliary ducts within the human liver ; analysis of the prevailing pattern of branching and the major variations of the biliary ducts. AMA Arch Surg. 1953 May;66(5):599-616.
- Goldsmith NA, Woodburne RT. The surgical anatomy pertaining to liver resection. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1957 Sep;105 (3):310-8.
- Gupta SC, Gupta CD, Arora AK. Sub-segmentation of the human liver. J Anat. 1977 Nov;124 (Pt 2):413-23.
- Yamane T, Mori K, Sakamoto K, Ikei S, Akagi M. Intrahepatic ramification of the portal vein in the right and caudate lobes of the liver. Acta Anat (Basel) 1988; 133 (2):162-72.
- Ralphe G. Surgical anatomy of the liver. Surg. Clin. N. Amer. 1989;69:179-182.
- Mishra S, Rehokhieya, Ajmani ML, Murty OP. Segmental anatomy of human liver by special technique of vascular injection. Journal of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology.1998;25:5-9.
- Ortale JR, Humberto C, Azevedo NF, Castro CM. Anatomy of the intrahepatic ramification of the portal vein in the right hemiliver. Cells, Tissues, Organs. 2000; 166:378-387.
- Arora. J, Kapur. V, Kakkar. A, Dixit. P. C. Ramification pattern of portal vein in right lobe of liver – A Corrosion Cast Study. J Anat. Soc. India 2003; 52(1);12-14.
Rajput AS, Kumari S, Mishra GP. A CORROSION CAST STUDY OF RAMIFICATION PATTERN OF PORTAL VEIN IN RIGHT LOBE OF HUMAN LIVER. Int J Anat Res 2014;2(4):791-796. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2014.551