Type of Article : Original Article
Year: 2014 | Volume 2 | Issue 4 | Page No. 785-790
Date of Publication: 31-12-2014
STUDY OF HUMAN FETAL KIDNEY
Shalika Sharma *1, Sunanda Raina 2.
*1 Lecturer, Acharya Shri Chander College Of Medical Sciences, Jammu, India.
2 Professor and Head Department of anatomy, Government Medical College, Jammu, India.
Address: Shalika Sharma, Acharya Shri Chander College of Medical Sciences, Jammu.
Background: The knowledge of the basic human morphology and developmental anatomy is very imperative for diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. The question of study of human renal development arose for prenatal diagnosis of congenital malformations. There are few reports regarding the morphological development of human kidney, So, our study aims at contributing to the knowledge of morphogenesis and histogenesis of human kidney. At various gestations.
Materials and method: 30 human foetal kidneys between 10 to 34 weeks of gestation were dissected and processed in paraffin, 7mm thick sections were stained with Haematoxylin-Eosin and Mason’s Trichrome stains. They were divided into 5 groups according to CRL and light microscopy examination done.
Results: Morphogenesis of human kidney starts at 5th week of gestation and extends upto last month of last trimester of pregnancy, renal pelvis was very small and undifferentiated at 10 weeks and fully differentiated at 18 weeks. Zone of transition between cortex and medulla appeared at the starting of 14 weeks, presence of lobulation in kidneys was observed as early as 10 weeks, lobules start fusing with each other at 15 weeks of gestation. An arcade system along with well-defined pyramids was observed at 16-18 weeks.
Conclusion: The present work made an attempt to do detailed light microscopy of human kidney at various stages of gestation, the data on which is scanty in Indian population.
KEYWORDS: Kidney, lobules, arcade, pyramid, pelvis.
- Sampaio, F.J. Analysis of kidney volume growth during the fetal period in human. J. Urol. 2007; 178(4Pt 2):1570-4.
- Osathanondh V, Potter, E.L. Development of human kidney as shown by micro-dissection. I. Preparation of tissue with reasons for possible misinterpretations of observations. Arch Pathology 1963a;76:271-276.
- Osathanondh V, Potter, E.L. Development of human kidney as shown by microdissection. II. Renal pelvis, calyces and papillae. Arch Pathology 1936b;76:277-289.
- Osathanondh V, Potter, E.L. Development of human kidney as shown by microdissection. III. Formation and Interrelationship of Collecting Tubules and Nephrons. Arch Pathology 1963c;76:290-302.
- Hamilton, Boyd, Mossman. Textbook of human embryology. 4th edition: 1976;377-392.
- Sabita Mishra, Anant Dinesh, J.M.Kaul. Morphological and morphometric study of human renal development during mid-gestational period. Jr. of Anatomy Soc. Of India 2007;55(2).
- Huber, G.C. On the development and shape of the uriniferous tubules of certain of the higher mammals. Am Jr of Anatomy 1905; Supp - Vol IV, June 1:1-98.
Shalika Sharma, Sunanda Raina. STUDY OF HUMAN FETAL KIDNEY. Int J Anat Res 2014;2(4):785-790. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2014.550