Type of Article : Case Report
Year: 2014 | Volume 2 | Issue 4 | Page No. 740-743
Date of Publication: 31-12-2014
ATYPIC DRAINAGE PATTERN OF POSTERIOR INTERCOSTAL VEINS INTO THE AZYGOS VENOUS SYSTEM
Rimpi Gupta *1, Deepak Goyal 2, APS Batra 3, Shveta Swami 4.
*1 Assistant professor, Dept of Anatomy, BPS GMC For Women, Khanpur Kalan, Sonipat, India.
2 Medical officer HCMS-1, PHC Dubheta,Dist Sonepat, Haryana, India.
3 Professor & Head, Dept of Anatomy, BPS GMC For Women, Khanpur Kalan, Sonipat, India.
4 Associate professor, Dept of Anatomy, BPS GMC For Women, Khanpur Kalan, Sonipat, India.
Address: Dr. Rimpi Gupta, MBBS, MS Anatomy, Assistant professor, Dept. of Anatomy, BPS GMC For Women, Khanpur Kalan, Sonipat, India.
The azygos venous system vary greatly in their mode of origin, course,tributaries, anastomoses and termination which resulst predominantly due to its complex embryological development. Azygos venous system develops as right and left azygos venous lines. Right azygos venous line develops into vertical part of azygos vein whereas the left one develops into accessory hemiazygos and inferior hemiazygos veins. These are connected by subcentral/ transvertebral veins. In the present case, we found an atypic drainage pattern of posterior intercostal veins into azygos venous system, left being more variable. Right superior intercostal vein formed by 2nd and 3rd posterior intercostal veins whereas left superior intercostal vein was found to be absent. 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th left posterior intercostal veins thus drained into accessory hemiazygos vein. Sixth and seventh left PICVs formed a common trunk with accessory hemiazygous vein and drained into the azygous vein at T6 level. Eighth one united with the hemiazygos vein and formed a common trunk which drained into azygos vein at T8 level. Such variations of the azygos venous system are important for a clinician during mediastinal surgeries to prevent inadvertent hemorrhagic complications.
KEYWORDS: Azygos vein, accessory hemiazygos vein, hemiazygos vein, superior intercostal vein.
- Mezzoqiorno A, Passiatore C. An atypic pattern of azygos venous system in man. Anat Anz. 1988; 165: 277–281.
- Arslan G, Cubuk M, Ozkaynak C, Sindel T, Luleci E. Absence of the azygos vein. Clin Imaging. 2000; 24: 157–158.
- Ozbek A, Dalcik C, Colak T, Dalcik H. Multiple variations of the azygos venous system. Surg Radiol Anat. 1999; 21: 83–85.
- Mahato NK. Anomalous accessory hemi-azygos system with persistent cranial segment of posterior cardinal vein - A case report. Braz J Morphol Sci. 2009; 26: 177–179.
- Kocabiyik N, Kutoglu T, Albay S, Yalcin B, Ozan H. Azygos vein system abnormality: case report. Gulhane Med J. 2006; 48: 180–182.
- Pyrzowski J, Spodnik JH, Lewicka A, Poplawska A, Wojcik S. A case of Multiple abnormalities of the azygos venous system: a pre-aortic interazygos vein. Folia Morphol(Warsz) 2007; 66(4):353-5.
- Pillet, J., Mercier, P., Chronier, P. et al. Isolated azygos continuation of the inferior vena cava. Absence of the retrohepatic segment of the inferior vena cava. Bulletin de l’ Association des Anatomistes. 1986, vol. 70, no. 210, p. 69-74.
- Coscina, WF., Arger, PH., Mintz, MC. et al. Concurrent duplication and azygos continuation of the inferior vena cava. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography. 1986, vol. 10, no. 5, p.287-290.
- Bergman, RA., Afifi, AK. and Miyauchi, R. Illustrated Encyclopedia of Human Anatomic Variation: Opus II: Cardiovascular System: Veins: Thorax. 12 ed. New York: McGraw Hill, 1966.
- Standring S. Gray’s anatomy: the anatomical basis of clinical practice. 39 ed. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone, 2005. p. 1025-1050.
- Brenner BJ., Clement DR., Frederick PL. et al. Major venous anomalies complicating abdominal aortic surgery. Archives of Surgery. 1974, vol. 108, p. 159-165.
- Smathers RL., Lee JKT. and Heiken JP. Anomalous preaortic interazygos vein. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography. 1983, vol. 7, p. 732-733.
- Takasugi JE, Godwin JD. CT appearance of the retroaortic anastomoses of the azygos system. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1990; 154: 41–44.
Rimpi Gupta, Deepak Goyal, APS Batra, Shveta Swami. ATYPIC DRAINAGE PATTERN OF POSTERIOR INTERCOSTAL VEINS INTO THE AZYGOS VENOUS SYSTEM. Int J Anat Res 2014;2(4):740-743. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2014.537