Type of Article : Original Article
Year: 2014 | Volume 2 | Issue 4 | Page No. 735-739
Date of Publication: 31-12-2014
AN ANATOMICAL STUDY OF SUPERFICIAL PALMAR ARCH
Suma M.P. *1, Vijay Kumar S 2, Priya Ranganath 3.
*1 Assistant Professor, The Oxford Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre Bangalore, India.
2Assistant Professor, Basaveshwara Medical College and Hospital, Chitradurga, India.
3 Professor and HOD of Anatomy, Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Bangalore, India.
Address: Dr. Suma M.P, Assistant Professor of Anatomy, The Oxford Medical College, Hospital And Research Centre Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
Background: The study of superficial palmar arch and its variations has been reported rarely. The purpose of the study is to provide assessment of anatomical variations in the formation of superficial palmar arch in hand. A classic superficial palmar arch is formed by direct communication between the superficial branch of the ulnar artery and superficial branch of radial artery.
Materials and Methods: Twenty dissected upper limb specimens, out of which 16 males and 4 females aged between 18 – 75years were obtained from Department of Anatomy, Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Bangalore. The vascular pattern of superficial palmar arch was recorded.
Results and Discussion: The complete and incomplete formation of the superficial palmar arch was found in 19 and 1 hands respectively. This indicates that the incidences of complete and incomplete formation of superficial palmar arch are 95% and 5% respectively. Conclusion: The findings suggest that the incomplete formation of superficial palmar arch will lead to ischemia or poor nourishment of intrinsic muscles of the hand.
KEYWORDS: Superficial Palmar Arch; Micro-Vascular Anatomy of Hand; Reconstructive Surgeries.
- Johnson D, Ellis H, Collins P. Wrist and hand. In: Standring S, Ellis H, Healy JC, Johnson D, Williams A; Gray’s Anatomy., Edinburgh, Churchill Livingstone; 39th Edn 2005; 929.
- Cunningham’s textbook of Anatomy, Oxford Medical Publications, Oxford University Press, 1981, 13th edn; 920 – 921.
- Johnson WH 3rd, Cromartie RS 3rd, Arrants JE, Wuamett JD, Holt JB. Simplified method for candidate selection for radial artery harvesting. Ann Thoracic Surgery; 1998; 65: 1167.
- Romanes, GJ. Cunnigham’s Manual of Practical Anatomy. 15th ed. Oxford: Oxford Univesity Press, 2005. vol. 1, p. 74-104.
- Bianchi H Anatomy of the radial branches of the palmar arch: variations and surgical importance. Hand Clinics, 2001; 17: 137–146.
- Ozkus K, Pestelmaci T, Soyluoglu AI, Akkin SM, Ozkus HI; Variations of the superficial palmar arch. Folia Morphol, 1998; 57: 251–255.
- Coleman SS, Anson BJ. Arterial patterns in the hand based upon the study of 650 specimens. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1961; 113: 409–424.
- Ikeda A, Ugawa A, Kazihara Y, Hamada N. Arterial patterns in the hand based on a three dimensional analysis of 220 cadaver hands. J Hand Surg Am. 1988; 13: 501–509.
- Janevski BK. Angiography of the upper extremity. The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff 1982; pp.73-122.
- Loukas M, Holdman D, Holdman S, Anatomical variations superficial and deep palmar arches, Folia Morphol, 2005; 64:78-83.
- Patnaik VVG, Kalsey G, Singla Rajan K. Palmar arterial arches- A morphological study. J Anat Soc India, 2002; 51 (2):187-193.
- Al-Turk M, Metcalf WK. A study of the superficial palmar arteries using the Doppler Ultrasound Flowmeter. J Anat,1984; 138: 27-32.
- Adachi B. Das arterien-systemder Japaner, Kenkyusha, Koyoto, 1928;1: 365-389.
- Ruengsakulrach P, Eizenberg N, Fahrer C, Fahrer M, Buxton BF: Surgical implications of variations in hand collateral circulation: Anatomy revisited. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2001, 122:682-686.
- Vollala VR, Nagabhooshana S, Rao M, Potu BK, Pamidi N, Bolla SR, Unorthodox superficial palmar arch observed in a South Indian cadaver: a case report, Cases j,2009; 2: 6362.
- Vollala VR, Rao M, Prasad D, Arterial variations of upper limb: a case report, Indian J Plast Surg, 2005; 38: 147-149.
- Ottone, Ne., Prum, N., Dominguez, M., Blasi, E., Medan, C., Shinzato, S., Finkelstein, D. And Bertone, Vh. Analysis And Clinical Importance Of Superficial Arterial Palmar Irrigation And Its Variants Over 86 Cases. International Journal Of Morphology, 2010, Vol. 28, N. 1, P. 157-164.
- Loren J Borud, Stephen J Mathes et al. Plastic Surgery The Hand And Upper Limb, Part 2, Vol. VIII: Embryology of the upper limb. 2nd Edition Philadelphia PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2006: 3-23.
- Arey. Developmental Anatomy: Development of the arteries 6th Edition.Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Co.;1957:375 –77.
- Acarturk TO, Tuncer U, Aydogan LB, Dalay AC. Median artery arising from the radial artery; its significance during harvest of a radial forearm free flap. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2008; 6:5-8.
- Tagil SM, Cicekcibasi AE, Ogun TC, Buyukmumcu M, Salbacaka A. Variations and clinica importance of the superficial palmar arch. S.D.U. Tip Fakultesi Dergisi. 2007;14:11–16.
- Lockhardt RD, Hamilton GF, Fyfe FW. Vascular system Systemic arteries. In: Anatomy of the Human Body. London, Feber & Feber Ltd.1959; 612–619.
- Pola P, Serricchio M, Flore R, Manasse E, Favuzzi A, Possati GF. Safe removal of the radial artery for myocardial revascularization: A Doppler study to prevent ischemic complications to the hand. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg.1996;112:737–744.
Suma M.P., Vijay Kumar S, Priya Ranganath. AN ANATOMICAL STUDY OF SUPERFICIAL PALMAR ARCH. Int J Anat Res 2014;2(4):730-734. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2014.536