Type of Article : Original Article
Year: 2014 | Volume 2 | Issue 4 | Page No. 730-734
Date of Publication: 31-12-2014
DESCRIPTIVE AND TOPOGRAPHIC ANATOMY OF INFRAORBITAL FORAMEN AND ITS CLINICAL IMPLICATION IN NERVE BLOCK
Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, S. B. H. Medical College, Dhule, Maharashtra, India.
Address: Dr. Kopal Saini, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, S. B. H. Medical College, Dhule, Maharashtra, India.
Introduction: The aim of this study is to document the morphological and topographical anatomy of the infraorbital foramen (IOF) in relation to the infraorbital rim (IOR) and piriform opening of the nose which is necessary in clinical situations that requires regional nerve blocks.
Methods: A total of 100 Indian dry adult human skulls of unknown age and gender were studied. In each skull the IOF’s location was measured with IOR and piriform opening of the nose as reference points. The transverse and vertical diameters of the foramen were also measured. The orientation of accompanying groove and any accessory foramen was noted.
Results: Majority of infra-orbital foramina were directed inferomedially on both the right (53.53 percent) and left (53.12 percent) sides. The overall combined distance between the IOR and IOF was 2 to 12 (6.7 ± 1.67) mm, the combined distance between piriform aperture and IOF was 11 to 23 (17.4 ± 2.43) mm. The overall combined vertical diameter was 2 to 7 (4.3 ± 0.95) mm. The overall combined transverse diameter was 1 to 5 (3.6 ± 0.84) mm. Eleven (5.64 percent) accessory infraorbital foramina were found.
Conclusion: Knowledge of the anatomical characteristics of IOF locations, diameters, directions and its accessory foramina may have important implications in blocking the infraorbital nerve for surgical and local anaesthetic planning.
KEYWORDS: Infraorbital foramen, Infraorbital rim, Infraorbital nerve block.
- Moore KL, Dalley AF. Nerves of the face. In: Moore KL, Dalley AF, eds. Clinically Oriented Anatomy. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1999:832-993.
- Michalek P, Donaldson W, McAleavey F, Johnston P, Kiska R. Ultrasound imaging of the infraorbital foramen and simulation of the ultrasound-guided infraorbital nerve block using a skull model. Surg Radiol Anat 2013;35:319–22.
- Tezer M, Öztürk A, Akgül M, Gayretli Ö, Kale A. Anatomic and morphometric features of the accessory infraorbital foramen. J Morphol Sci 2011; 28(2): 95-7.
- Lee YU, Nam SH, Han SH, Choi KN, Kim TJ.Morphological characteristics of the infraorbital foramen and infraorbital canal using three-dimensional models. Surg Radiol Anat 2006;28: 115–20.
- Boopathi S, Chakravarthy MS, Dhalapathy S, Anupa S. Anthropometric analysis of the infraorbital foramen in a South Indian population. Singapore Med J 2010;51(9):730-5.
- Shaik HS, Shepur MP, Desai SD, Thomas ST, Maavishettar GF, Haseena S. Morphometric analysis of Infra orbital foramen position in south Indian skulls. Indian J. Innovations 2012 july.
- Karakas P, Bozkir MG, Oguz O. Morphometric measurements from various reference points in the orbit of male Caucasians. Surg Radiol Anat 2002;24: 358–62.
- Singh R. Morphometric analysis of infraorbital foramen in Indian dry skulls. Anat Cell Biol 2011;44:79-83.
- Kazkayasi M, Ergin A, Ersoy M, Bengi O, Tekdemir I, Elhan A. Certain anatomical relations and the precise morphometry of the infraorbital foramen- canal and groove: an anatomical and cephalometric study. Laryngoscope 2001 Apr;111(4 Pt 1):609-14.
- Gour KK, Nair S, Trivedi GN, Gupta SD, Anthropometric measurements of infraorbital foramen in dried human skulls. Int J Biol Med Res. 2012;3(3):2003-6.
- Kharb JP, Samanta PP, Gupta N. Morphometric analysis of infraorbital foramen in dry adult skulls and its surgical relevance. Journal of advance Rearch in Biological Sciences 2012;4(2):83-7.
- Lokanayaki V. Anatomic variations of infra orbital foramen. CIBTech Journal of Surgery ISSN 2319-3875 2013 May-August;.2(2):30-6. Avialable at URL- http://www.cibtech.org/cjs.htm
- Elias MG, Silva RB, Pimentel ML, Cardoso VTS, Rivello T, Babinski MA. Morphometric analysis of the infraorbital foramen and Acessories foraminas in brazilian skulls.Int. J. Morphol 2004;22(4):273-8.
- Oliveira J, de EM, Moreira RT, Neto BL, Silva CMF da,Lima FJC. A Morphological and Biometric Study of the Infraorbital Foramen (E2 - Sibai Point) in Adult Skulls. Int. J. Morphol 2012;30(3):986-92.
- Bressan C, Guena S, Malerba G, Giacobini G, Giordano M, Robecchi MG et al. Descriptive and topographic anatomy of the accessory infraorbital foramen. Clinical implication in maxillary surgery. Minerva Stomatol 2004 sep;53(9):495-505.
- Williams PL, Bannister LH, Berry MM, Collin P, Dyson M, Dussek JE, Ferguson MWJ. Gray’s anatomy. 38th ed. New York: Churchill Livingstone;2000.
- Hanihara T, Ishida H. Frequency variations of discrete cranial traits in major human populations. IV. Vessel and nerve related variations. J Anat 2001;199:273-87.
Kopal Saini. DESCRIPTIVE AND TOPOGRAPHIC ANATOMY OF INFRAORBITAL FORAMEN AND ITS CLINICAL IMPLICATION IN NERVE BLOCK. Int J Anat Res 2014;2(4):730-734. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2014.535